Sign in with
Your question

New System - good combination?

Last response: in Systems
August 8, 2008 10:18:25 AM

hay guise,

my old motherboard did a self-destruct some time ago and now Im looking for a whole new system. I picked some components I thought might work well together. What do you think? Is this a good choice?

Intel E8400
Asus P5K Pro
Ati Radeon HD4850

Also how much and what kind of RAM would you advice me to buy?
Do you know a good harddrive - I guess I need one too ;-)
Thanks in advance, Kampy*
a b V Motherboard
August 8, 2008 10:38:49 AM

Have a look at the P5Q line and see if anything in there might work, slightly better boards I think.

RAM is cheap right now, so buy 4 gigs even if you are running a 32 bit OS and it only recognizes 3 or 3.4

800 Mhz will do fine:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
August 8, 2008 9:58:33 PM

Thanks for the advice so far. If the difference is just small and the board Ive chosen works fine I think its best for me to stay with it, because its cheap. Only if there are problems with the combination of board and processor I would change. So you think the board works fine with the other stuff?
Yeah, I agree about the RAM I will def. go for 4 gigs even if I stay with WinXP. I might wanna change sometime - you never know.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
August 9, 2008 11:58:09 AM

I was thinking the vanilla P5Q would be a good choice for you, but I see it's come up in price.

Looks good. What power supply are you using?

Get any Western Digital HD with the letters AAKS in the part number. All good deals.
a b V Motherboard
August 10, 2008 12:32:40 AM

Proximon said:
I was thinking the vanilla P5Q would be a good choice for you, but I see it's come up in price.

Looks good. What power supply are you using?

Get any Western Digital HD with the letters AAKS in the part number. All good deals.

The WD7500AAKS and especially the WD6400AAKS are excellent. The WD5000AAKS is best avoided, no PMR, less speed.

MB: P5Q Pro - it has PCI-E 2.0 and Crossfire, a lot more future-proof than the P5K.
a b V Motherboard
August 10, 2008 3:08:30 AM

Thanks aevm!

Didn't realize the 500 was bad.
a b V Motherboard
August 10, 2008 4:54:30 AM

No worries, they're not really that bad. I got 3 of them 13 months ago, they're still working perfectly, they're quiet, and they're fast enough for most purposes. It's just that when I added some WD 750GB disks later I noticed the speed difference.
August 17, 2008 9:18:31 AM

cool thanks you guise I think Im getting the P5Q Pro then. Big thanks for the HD adivice too. The future is full of awesomeness I believe.
!