Corsair Dominator 1066 vs Crucial Ballistix 800

Currently running an E8500 with Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 memory, overclocked at 3.8ghz. Everything is running smoothly.

Ram timings are stock at 4-4-4-12, with 2.1v. My question is, I would like to hit 4.1ghz or so, and have my eye on Corsair Dominator 1066 memory, at 5-5-5-15. Is this a wise choice in switching over to this to achieve my goals? As i've tried to up the FSB more, and the system came unstable with my current ram in there.

Or would you recommend any other manufacturers/makes of 1066 ram, or should I just scrap this idea and stick with my DDR2 800 Crucial memory?
4 answers Last reply
More about corsair dominator 1066 crucial ballistix
  1. Most of the 1066 ram is just factory overclocked 800 ram, using a voltage increase to accomplish this. You can most likely overclock your Crucial ram 1066 speed, increasing the voltage as needed. I've used both Corsair ram and OCZ ram, and both have worked well, though I had some trouble with some Corsair ram a couple years ago. The 800 OCZ ram that I'm presently using overclocked to 1066 speed without trouble, and was cheaper to buy.

As for overclocking your E8500, the ram will overclock as you do so, so just increase the voltage a tenth or so to keep it stable. Your main problem is going to be heat, so watch the CPU temps and upgrade the heatsink/fan as necessary. You may well have to loosen the ram timings as well when you increase the ram's speed. Keep in mind that there is very little, if any, benefit to raising the CPU speed from 3.8ghz to 4.1ghz.
  2. so basically leave the crucial ram thats in there now (ddr2 800), it's already running at 2.1v, just loosen the timings some? What do you recommend? 5-5-5-12? From 4-4-4-12?
  3. Try the ram with its stock timing and run either Prime95 or at least loop through 3DMark06 a few times to make sure its stable. If failure occurs, loosen the timings to 5-5-5-15, then raise the ram voltage to 2.2v if failure occurs again. You may have to juggle it around a bit more. Keep in mind that you will have to raise the CPU voltage as well if you overclock the CPU, but I'm sure you already know this. There are no guarantees when overclocking, but rather its more of try something and see if it works.

For my part, I wouldn't waste the money that is being asked for 1066 ram, especially if you read the Newegg reviews concerning any brand of 1066 and see how many people find that it doesn't perform to the 1066 specs.
  4. avent had much success
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory DDR2 Corsair Dominator RAM Crucial