bh2o

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
Hello!
So recently I have been wanting to OC my q9300 quad-core from its stock 2.5 ghz to 3.0 ghz (333 FSB to 400, nothing crazy right now). I currently have a stock heatsink that Intel sends with the q9300 and I have to say, it isn't a bad cooler but, from what I have heard if you want to overclock at all you should get an after market cooler. So I was wondering is what is a good heatsink to purchase with price-performance ratio. Here are my current specs:

CPU
: Intel q9300 quad core 2.5 ghz (Socket 775)
Case: Cooler Master Stacker 830 (4 fans on the bracket currently)
MOBO: nForce EVGA 750i
GPU: 2 8800gs's in SLI, OCed to match each other.
RAM: 8 gigs of g.skill 6400 (currently running at 800 mhz)
HD: 1TB Seagate Barracude 7200.12
(if you need any other info just ask).

One that somewhat caught my eye was the Scythe Mugen 2, but the thing is a beast and by beast I mean it is huge (which is common) but more so than others that I have seen. If anyone has a stacker 830 with a Mugen 2 in I would love to hear what you have to say about it and if you had to remove anyfans (I am ok with removing a fan or 2). Other suggestions would be great too, I would eventually (after I have used this computer longer) would love to push it a little more as well if I could, but at the moment just looking to go to 3.0 ghz.

Suggestions please :).

Well Mugen is another 870 gms of weight.......... hanging onto that board. And the board had better be very well secured onto the chassis of the case. Thats weight without the weight of the dust that might accumulate plus add a little vibration to the box.... and it could just fall off....... lol :)
Monster is the right word for it.......I bet it's scientifically designed and all that jazz..... but I'd suggest you go in for Liquid cooling... a better option....

tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
All the reviewing sites out there (the majority of which are US based) seem to have overlooked one of the best cooler series out there - the EKL Alpenföhn. I have the latest of their product, the Nordwand. My Phenom 9850 ir overclocked from 2,5 to 3,1 GHz and it never reaches the 50 C mark, not even after several hours of 100% operation under Prime95. The best thing is - I can't even hear it's there (perhaps because the Radeon 5870 next to it is somewhat noisy). There are other good coolers out there, no doubt, but you can't miss with the Nordwand.

PS - it's a tower cooler, not the tallest, but still rather big - I have only 1,5-2 cm left in my Silverstone Raven 2.

Good luck!

tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

They can be bought only in the EU, for now. Heard there are plans for expanding. Actually, I have never seen an ENG review for these coolers, that's the problem. The company should really advertise more in ENG as well, or else they're missing a big market.

Here's the website, btw. http://alpenfoehn.de/

bliq

Distinguished
I'm using a thermaltake hyper 212 plus for my i7 860. and I used it on my C2D 6850. On the intel side, it can do sockets 775/1156/1366. I know it can also be mounted to AMD sockets. it's pretty quiet, hot ridiculously heavy, has a mount point for a second 120mm fan if you need it, and it has a good backplate and mounting mechanism. Plus it only costs $30.