I learned the following subsequent to my original post.
1. Go to G Mail server, sign in;
2. Click settings.
3. Then click Forward &POP/Imap
4. Then, under POP download (I use POP), click, under item 3 Configuration Instructions.
5. Then click Outlook 2007 ( I use 2007 Outlook Express).
6. Then click Common Errors.
7. Then clicked my Problem which was "Repeatedly prompted for user name and passowrd...
8. Then, clear the CAPTCHA.
9. Then, Logon, do the security.
10. Then click "Unlock" and it all works.
According to the Blogs, this has been an ongoing problem.
I have no idea as to the implications of CAPTCHA-but such a problem appears to strike
without warning. Would be happy to read what precipitates CAPTCHA, sort of like GOTCHA.
I had the same issue in Thunderbird. I had to create a filter that automatically moved any email messages that had a FROM of my email address to the SENT folder.
Thank you for your kind advice. I remain unsuccesful.
The problem is better defined by the fact that, when I create and "Send" an email in my Outlook Express,
such email ends up not only in my PC Sent Folder in Outlook Express, but also appears in my Sent Folder on the Gmail site.
Whereas, any Inbox emails are set to automatically download to my Outlook Express folder and no Inbox emails are left on the server.
I am unable to figure out how to, firstly, prevent Sent emails created on my computer from ending up on the Gmail server and, similarly, how Emails created and Sent from the server can be automatically downloaded to my PC when such is turned on and no copy left on the server.
I wish to empty my Email server of all contents (Inbox and Sent) when my PC boots up, or when I Send and Receive. Would even like my Trash to unload to my PC so that I do not have to remember to periodically go on the server and delete it.
I had thought unlocking Captcha would help in some way-but did not do so. Thank you.