Desktop irregularily starting/not starting at all. Help please.

spriah

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
This is basically my problem (more info can be provided):

I have a desktop sony. I installed a new gpu, which was slightly power intensive for my system. When turning on my system 8/10 times the dekstop itself would turn on but the screen wouldn't recieve any signal (i.e nothing visible happened apart from the desktop sounding like it was turning on). 1/10 times the screen would turn on and show the normal start up routine (i.e the xp bar) but would freeze (as in the xp bar would keep ticking along with its blue boxes but it would go no further) You could tell this was going to happen as the sound the tower was making seem subdued and quiet. 1/10 times it would work normally and I could do anything till I turned it off.

I took this as the gpu being power intensive and so carried on like this for a week or something.

As I was going on holiday and my family wanted to use the computer without having to do all the restarts I re-installed the old gpu, thinking this would remedy the problem.

Fast-foward a few weeks and I find out this didnt in fact change the problem (woe be me).

So yesterday I started trying to fix it. This time the screen did turn on everytime although the system wouldnt start itself (multiple restarts). I can see this being a driver problem as I didnt uninstall the drivers for the newer GPU.

Today I went back to start fixing it with restore disk in hand (and uber-woe be me) I find out the screen is no longer receiving a signal (and so not turning on etc.) Unlike before I seem to be getting 10/10 screen not turning on. Knowing my luck I probably fried the mobo although I grounded myself like a hundred times. Anyway of finding out if I have?

TL;DR= Screen not turning on although tower sounds like it is turning on.

Help please. :)

spriah

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
After like 20 turn on/offs with new gpu i did get a screen reaction a la quiet noise from the tower.

unfortunately got blue screen of death for a few seconds before the screen lost connection.

thinking possibly trying to revert to old gpu killed the os, so I have the recov disk ready for next time this happens.

so..... now two problems >.<