Sign in with
Your question

Installing fresh wnidows xp sp3 in dell inspiron 6000

Last response: in Windows XP
January 4, 2011 9:15:11 PM

Hello,
how can i install frsh copy of windows xp sp3 in my dell inspiron 6000? when i inserted the disc in the dvd drive and open power, when pressing F12 to choose where to boot first and select cd/dvd/ drive the CPU will read and it appears on my screen caldera dr-dos 7.03 using the DPMS DOS Protected Mode Services not the starting of my XP installation? thanks in advance
January 5, 2011 5:29:51 PM

To ask a really dumb question, is the cd/dvd a retail XP installation disk? Or is is a recovery disk that came with the machine that is Dell-specific? Or just the wrong disk grabbed by mistake?
m
l
January 11, 2011 11:01:23 PM

It's a retail XP installation disk (Windowx XP SP3 License).
m
l
Related resources
January 12, 2011 12:54:26 AM

Did you buy it on eBay?

Are you absolutely certain the computer is booting from the XP CD?
m
l
January 12, 2011 3:31:01 PM

Tiggy

Would you please get that <furshliggener> thing of my screen? I nearly broke the monitor trying to kill it. :kaola: 
m
l
January 12, 2011 3:32:43 PM

dragontooth2430 said:
It's a retail XP installation disk (Windowx XP SP3 License).

Got me beat. An XP disk should boot into XP install. Can you try it on another machine, just to make sure that it's not something specific to your setup?

PS - if you do this, once it boots switch off the machine. If that disk is malicious, not nice to kill someone else's system.
m
l
January 23, 2011 9:30:11 PM

I've been using the disk in all my PCs and other services. Still when I get put it on the dell inspirion i always get the CALDERA DOS when booting...
m
l
January 24, 2011 11:51:44 AM

dragontooth2430 said:
I've been using the disk in all my PCs and other services. Still when I get put it on the dell inspirion i always get the CALDERA DOS when booting...

Second dumb question: Are you certain that the Dell is booting from the DVD? Just for hoots and giggle, put some other bootable DVD in the drive and boot up. If it boots into whatever's on the DVD, you still have a mystery. If it boots to CALDERA DOS, we have a big clue.

And take that DOS floppy out of the floppy drive! :kaola: 
m
l
!