Sign in with
Your question

Oh yeah, here's a surprise for some AMD fans

Last response: in CPUs
October 19, 2008 4:16:31 PM

Was over on Xtremesystems and noticed someone had posted this link. Take a look, there is a processor surprise inside. I just wonder if they're shipping yet.

http://www.acmemicro.com/estore/merchant.ihtml?pid=6575&lastcatid=407&step=4

More about : yeah surprise amd fans

October 19, 2008 4:24:04 PM

Nice find. Kind of a high price tag! $2K plus! But those 8-ways can be expensive.
October 19, 2008 4:33:18 PM

uhhh...what the hell?
a c 117 à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 19, 2008 5:54:24 PM

Cheap basstuds don't even give you a HSF - lol. Nice to see 45nm now lives at AMD.

The 2.4GHz Opty 8378 is only half the cost - heh heh - so with mobo, riser board and cpus you are only out $12,000.00 vs $20,000+.
October 19, 2008 7:38:20 PM

Shanghai finally comes out?
October 19, 2008 7:58:34 PM

Now that's marketing.
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 19, 2008 7:59:19 PM

Yea the server chips were supposed to be out now. Deneb is still slated for January. Remember Servers usually get their chips 2+ months before the desktop users do.
October 19, 2008 10:01:03 PM

Where are the Shanghai benchmarks?
October 19, 2008 10:03:14 PM

Uhmm try to make a quick buck from some suckers before they lose the server market completely in the near future, perhaps??!! If you're shelling out for multisocket platforms nobody in their right mind is going to pay $1000 dollars per socket for a few extra Mhz anyways... Unless its going for a supercomputer record in China of course... :pt1cable: 

Bob
October 20, 2008 12:06:46 AM

Mmmm $2400 for a quad core woohoo, errr I think I'll stay with my room warming 140Watt 9950 thank you.
a c 117 à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 20, 2008 12:43:08 AM

bobwya said:
Uhmm try to make a quick buck from some suckers before they lose the server market completely in the near future, perhaps??!! If you're shelling out for multisocket platforms nobody in their right mind is going to pay $1000 dollars per socket for a few extra Mhz anyways... Unless its going for a supercomputer record in China of course... :pt1cable: 

Bob

It's less expensive than a Xeon Tigerton quad and consumes 60% of the electricity ....
October 20, 2008 12:34:07 PM

Wisecracker said:
It's less expensive than a Xeon Tigerton quad and consumes 60% of the electricity ....

Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of the Opteron (I have piles of them at home). However I was merely commenting that you do have to pay exponential $$$ to get that last, extra 100-200Mhz (which is true of AMD and Intel processor pricing).

Like I say I think most people would agree that AMD will start to get into problems when the Core i7 comes out and they start to lose traction in the Server market. Intel offers less (technical) competition just now in this market (no 4+ multi-socket boards / serial processor interconnect).

Bob
a c 117 à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 20, 2008 1:05:09 PM

bobwya said:
Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of the Opteron (I have piles of them at home). However I was merely commenting that you do have to pay exponential $$$ to get that last, extra 100-200Mhz (which is true of AMD and Intel processor pricing).

Like I say I think most people would agree that AMD will start to get into problems when the Core i7 comes out and they start to lose traction in the Server market. Intel offers less (technical) competition just now in this market (no 4+ multi-socket boards / serial processor interconnect).

Bob

IMO it remains to be seen on the server side.

It's important to note (as you have) that these are the 'creme de la creme' on the enterprise side and that AMD now has a less-expensive 'dog (let's hope not-heh heh) in the hunt' that's a drop-in for socket F 4p and 8p systems at the bleeding edge.

As I understand it there will be considerable time before multi-socket (AFAIK that would be 2p) i7 chipsets will be on the market. In that timeframe AMD will double HT, roll 55w server quads (at 45nm) and present new chipsets on the enterprise side for 4-way / 8-way rigs.

I don't really see a 'problem'. I see a very serious competition on the enterprise high side that benefits end-users.
October 20, 2008 3:01:32 PM

bobbknight said:
Mmmm $2400 for a quad core woohoo, errr I think I'll stay with my room warming 140Watt 9950 thank you.

Same here. Why spend $10k+ on servers when you can spend 20% that much and have 80% of the performance?
October 20, 2008 3:47:33 PM

Wisecracker said:
IMO it remains to be seen on the server side.

It's important to note (as you have) that these are the 'creme de la creme' on the enterprise side and that AMD now has a less-expensive 'dog (let's hope not-heh heh) in the hunt' that's a drop-in for socket F 4p and 8p systems at the bleeding edge.

As I understand it there will be considerable time before multi-socket (AFAIK that would be 2p) i7 chipsets will be on the market. In that timeframe AMD will double HT, roll 55w server quads (at 45nm) and present new chipsets on the enterprise side for 4-way / 8-way rigs.

I don't really see a 'problem'. I see a very serious competition on the enterprise high side that benefits end-users.

What he said. The 8000 series chips are the 4+ socket bleeding edge server chips. They're gonna cost much more than the others due to all the extra HT links and what not, but also like he said, much less than the 8 socket version of the Tigerton. I believe he's correct on how long it will be before 4+ socket Nehalems come out. I know i7 is officially suppose to launch in mid November, and thats for the 3 initial offerings. Probably be some time 1st or 2nd quarter next year before server chips hit, and by then the AM3/1207+ HT3.1 DDR3 versions of the Shanghai's are suppose to be out. I still want to see how these bench against initial Nehalem in server loads. If they're too close we'll see price wars in the server world.

On the other hand, if these chips are out now, that means the 2.8 and 3.0ghz AM2+ Denebs should be creeping out soon too. Those are suppose to be out some time before Christmas, supposedly the same time as the Ht2.0 versions of the Shanghai's. It's the AM3 versions of the Deneb you gotta wait till january for, at the official release.

Actually they have the 2300 (2 socket) ones listed too. 2376-2384 are all apparently Shanghai based. And at what most would consider more realistic prices.

http://www.acmemicro.com/estore/listprod.ihtml?parent=3...

And then the 8378-8384 are the 4-8 socket versions.

http://www.acmemicro.com/estore/listprod.ihtml?parent=4...
!