HP pavilion laptop won't boot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
I have a pavilion laptop dv9205 and when I turn it on it lights up the keyboard for 30 seconds and then shut down and tries again. This will go on for ever. I hear the fans and see the power lights but never boots up. This all started one day when I had left it on and it had all funny colors on the screen and then after restarting this is all I get with the power lights trying to start but can't and will reboot and try again. Could on board video cause this or would it be the mobo.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
An old trick to try. I'm a computer tech, but an older tech taught me this, unplug it, then take the battery out, press the power button a few times, even hold it for 30 seconds or so, then see if it fires up. Sometimes that helps flush out any little bits of electricity/static that may have built up. Hope it helps. I know my wife had an old dell laptop, did something like that, used that method, it booted, also fixed an issue with it shutting down if you moved the screen and ebayed it for about 200 bucks.

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
I have already tried that, It still tries to star for a few seconds and then shut down and tries again untill I hold the power button down to shut it off. Thanks

oliver_m18

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
i have a hp pavilion dv9000. it just won't boot even the lights are on.. i had read a news that the nvidia geforce 6, 7, 8 series have faulty dies used. they fail after a period of time.. i also read that some hp laptops have extended warranty and we will be able to replace the faulty chipset or graphics card nvidia made. but it will take a long time..

iverieli

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
When you try the power cycle, you have to do it a certain way.

Unplug your power adapter from the laptop, remove the battery, and hold the power button for 60 seconds.

When done, do not put your battery back in, but plug in your power adapter and see if it will start.

Also, you may want to unscrew the memory panel at the bottom and take out the BIOS battery to reset the bios, then put it back in. If your BIOS is somehow corrupted this will eliminate the problem.

Try both of these and see if it works.

G

I have the same problem w/ my Laptop. HP Pavilion dv2000. Hope the work I've done helps.

Slow Booting(15-45 min)... Mostly Not at all. Powers on, Fan Runs, No WIFI light, But everything still lights up. No Screen No reaction from Anything...

I have done a lot of work to resolve this:

Reseated Ram.
Cleaned Fan
Changed Thermal Strip to Compound. (Recommended anyway)
Reseated CPU
Swapped CPU
Checked Battery
Checked Power plug
Looked over Connections along MB
Check Ternination of Connectors on Cables. (With heat and time the plastic becomes weak and can break and crack).
Reset Bios Battery

The only improvement found was in reseating the CPU, the computer does seam to boot more regularly. But still not reliable. Plugging and unplugging the power cable while on, freezes the computer and causes a huge delay in rebooting the computer. I've seen posts on power on the motherboard can be an issue and saw a fix. I'm looking into that now... but Its been a long road. And there is a lot of crap on these forums.

Can't get Mad at just HP for this.. Its everywhere. Things are designed to break- it sucks. If you would have bought a different computer... you would be running into different or the same problems about three - five years after you bought it.

rajadog

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
Ive got the same problem with my pavilion dv 2000. Ive sent my pc in to hp for them to fix it 3 times for THIS EXACT PROBLEM and they still could not fix it. Than My networking card gets messed up and I cant connect to the internet and I said the least they could do is fix the networking issues and THEY CANT EVEN FIX THAT. Than I get my free version of vista from hp just to find out that my pc is not really good enough to run vista. So I would like to restore my pc and put xp back on there but they NEVER SHIPPED MY RECOVERY DISKS!!!!!!! They said that it should at least be on my hard drive but IT WANT. So I had to dish out another $20.00 to restore my computer and I get a virus and have to restore my pc again!! I have been on with hp chat support at least 10 times for at least 6 different major problems that I dont even want to talk about and they COULD NOT SOLVE A SINGLE 1. I would like to send my pc back to hp but MY WARRENTY IS OVER!!! Now I get very low frames per second while playing any games because my video card overheats. I WILL NEVER BUY A CRAPPY HP AGAIN!!!

wheely34

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
you did not state wat OS you are running. Have you tried repairing the OS? If your missing critical boot files, your computer will try to boot, fail, then restart itself, and it will keep doing this until you manually power it off. Insert your OS cd (dont know if its XP or Vista), boot from the CD if possible, and run the repair utility. If it is corrupted boot files (boot.ini, etc) this will fix it and the computer will start).

Of course, if it is a hardware problem, this won't fix it. Hardwaqre problems could consist of anything such as bad memory (which you seem to have ruled that out), bad hard drive (bad sectors), maybe a cooling issue....

try repairing the OS if you can boot from the CD. Or just try to boot into safe mode by tapping F8 as soon as you boot ur computer. booting into safe mode is always the first step you take...suprised no one has said this..

stevetag

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
I had the same problem on an HP DV9407 laptop that was not included in the extended warranty program to fix this problem. When I would turn the pc on all the lights would come on but it would not boot. Took it to a tech place and they told me the motherboard needed to be replaced. Here's what I did and this has been a permanent fix on my laptop:

1) unplug the unit and pull the battery out and leave it out for the time being
2) reseat the memory
3) with the battery still out, put the laptop in a plastic garbage bag and stick it in the freezer for about 3 hours
4) take the unit out and let it come up to room temperature for a half hour
5) boot up - mine now booted (the problem is a fan problem on the Nvida board)
6) Go to the HP web site and download the updated bios and flash it, for your laptop (it tells the fan to turn faster)
7) update, from the HP website, your Nvida driver and reboot
8) reinstall the battery and in my case all has been fine for over a month now

Sure better than $200 or more just for a new motherboard.

G

Hey- Just read your post and your suggestion worked for me! My computer is back alive thanks to you!!! Rachel

sbond

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010

Wow....can't believe this worked. But it did, unfortunately, I couldn't get past the boot screen and had no keyboard functionality. Any thoughts (besides it's now a very cool looking paper weight?)

dannyg1981

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
Yo to all u people with hp dv wot evers the cause of 99% of ur problems is the nvida gpu becoming unseated there is a common problem with these laptops i have fixed 3 of them now and they all were not booting fan comming on then resetting after about 45 sec only to do the same thing again there is a fix for this but u have to no wot u are doing the nvida chip becomes unsoldered from the motherboard not so its falling about but somewhere underneathe it the solder will be broke if u can get into ur laptop drop me an email and i can take u through the process to fix it u basically have to heat up the gpu chip to 210oc to resolder the chip i can give u pics and iof u wanna phone me i can talk u through the process its quite doable if u are ok with a screw driver and wot not please email me if u need instructions dannyg1981@hotmail.co.uk if u wanna pay postage and packaging and donate me a few quid i can even do the job for u hope this helps like i said i have fixed 3 no myself hope this helps Dan :wahoo:

G

Hi look I have been using computers for 15 years or so and am an old git (55) and have had the very same issues on my HP Pavillion Pavilion DV6000 (3.5 years old) from this morning.

Previously had the wirless card issues and had fan / bios thingy upgrade and been back to HP 3 times in 1st 2.5 years (extended warranty due to known issue)

Closed down fine 8 hours ago in early hours so assumed not hardwear failure as such, and spent 30 mins looking on forums from my desktop upstairs for an answer as I, like us all these days, needed the work on my laptop or I was screwed.

Well you will love this one, after trying the battery thing, you know:
unplug the power cable, remove the battery, hold down the on/off button for 30 seconds to dissipate electrical static = it still wouldnt power up!

My wife who incidentally cant find the on/off button on a computer and who keeps her 10 year old mobile cause its the only one she knows how to use said to me:

'Bob you use it on the arm of the sofa then put it on the carpet next to the sofa when you have finished so its probably all that dust inside'
Yea, I thought the same 'stupid female dont be daft'

Anyway just before getting a rope to hang myself I thought why not, so I got my can of Staples (or any) Air Duster, which if you hold it down for more than a few seconds the solvent carrier comes out as well and I removed the battery and sprayed all the air holes on my laptop, especially around the power connector and wow was I amazed at how much dust came out!

Wife says 'hey dont laugh, thats the same as altzheimer sufferers, they get some stuff on the brain that blocks the normal flow of electrical things'

RESULT = I AM TYPING THIS ON MY LAPTOP!

I am not a tech freak, I am old, read some real rubbish on furums, oh and I love my kids to bits and I swear on my kids lives that the above is all 110% true!!!!!!!

maryann ns

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
When you try the power cycle, you have to do it a certain way.

Unplug your power adapter from the laptop, remove the battery, and hold the power button for 60 seconds.

When done, do not put your battery back in, but plug in your power adapter and see if it will start.

Amazing! This worked for me. I also used air spray to clean the battery area while I was at it. My problem started when I tried to do a backup, got an error and couldn't eject the disc. I shut down the system but then it would not reboot properly. All is OK for now, but I won't ry to backup for a while.

shovenose

Distinguished
hp laptop pavlion dv series has design flaws. if anyone out there still has one that works, get the latest bios from the hp website immediately, and remember to clean out the dust every few months

Status
Not open for further replies.