Sign in with
Your question

RAID with 2 HDD and 1 SSD?

Last response: in Storage
January 3, 2010 7:57:19 PM

I have a few questions...
1) I've heard that if you wanted to run a RAID array involving two HDD and a SSD, you would have to leave the SSD out of the array and have it set as the primary boot device.
The purpose of this RAID would be for increased speed (RAID with the two HDD), and faster boot up (by having the OS on the SSD).
Is this true?

If so...
3) Would it be possible (or wise) in INCLUDE the SSD in the array, as opposed to having it set as the primary boot device?
4) Why can't you simply include the SSD in the array?
5) Are the arrays somehow linked to the SSD... in other-words, would I run into complications if I set this up for Windows and I set up a second array (same way, one SSD and two HDD) for Linux? Would I still maintain the power to switch between Windows and Linux via switching the Boot order in the BIOS?

Any answers would be appreciated :D 

More about : raid hdd ssd

a c 114 G Storage
January 3, 2010 8:13:58 PM

Ironfrunk said:
1) I've heard that if you wanted to run a RAID array involving two HDD and a SSD, you would have to leave the SSD out of the array and have it set as the primary boot device.

Yes

Quote:
The purpose of this RAID would be for increased speed (RAID with the two HDD), and faster boot up (by having the OS on the SSD). Is this true?

RAID will offer no observable increase in speed under these conditions. The only increase a typical user sees with a RAID array (and no SD) is faster boot times and 2 -7 % increase in gaming performance.

Quote:
3) Would it be possible (or wise) in INCLUDE the SSD in the array, as opposed to having it set as the primary boot device?

RAID 0 requires two identical devices for optimal performance....the speed of the array is controlled by the slowest device which would negate all the advantages of an SSD.

Two SSD's in RAID 0 would halve your boot time but show very little other speed improvements unless you are doing heavy I/O database type work. Another RAID application where you'd see a benefit from RAID 0 is video editing.

m
l
January 3, 2010 9:08:38 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Yes

Quote:
The purpose of this RAID would be for increased speed (RAID with the two HDD), and faster boot up (by having the OS on the SSD). Is this true?

RAID will offer no observable increase in speed under these conditions. The only increase a typical user sees with a RAID array (and no SD) is faster boot times and 2 -7 % increase in gaming performance.

Quote:

RAID 0 requires two identical devices for optimal performance....the speed of the array is controlled by the slowest device which would negate all the advantages of an SSD.

Two SSD's in RAID 0 would halve your boot time but show very little other speed improvements unless you are doing heavy I/O database type work. Another RAID application where you'd see a benefit from RAID 0 is video editing.

Just the answers I was looking for. :D 
The only reason I was going to consider a SSD at this time was for a faster boot-up time. I would have my OS on it, the rest I figured I would have on the RAID's HDDs.
I also imagined it would decrease the time in which game loading screens take to load (seeing as that dependent upon the speed of the drive?).

Just one more question...
I've heard you have to pause the Installation of the OS as some point to load the RAID drivers or create the RAID at that point (or something along those lines?)... Does this pertain to Windows exclusively, or would it pertain to a Linux Distro (Mint 7) as well?
I believe I've read something about that on this forum... however it only specified about Windows. So, instead of bump an old thread, I figured I'd ask now.
m
l
Related resources
January 4, 2010 1:26:31 AM

there's no point in raid 0 for a two drive array if you have an ssd as your boot disk

the only reason you would raid in this case is for redundancy, in which case raid 0 is the worst you can do
m
l
January 4, 2010 5:32:01 AM

uh_no said:
there's no point in raid 0 for a two drive array if you have an ssd as your boot disk

the only reason you would raid in this case is for redundancy, in which case raid 0 is the worst you can do

I wasn't planning on using RAID 0 anyways.
I was asking in general, I have yet to decide which level of RAID to go with. It wouldn't be RAID 0 though.
m
l
!