Okay here's the problem I got! And I've checking everything.

My CoH Updater is constantly stuck at "Connecting." I went and opened
all the ports need on my router, my firewall on my pc lets the updater
have unrestricted access to the web.

Went and unplugged my PC from the router and plugged directly into the
modem, rebooted and restarted the updater, with no avail.

I tried to ping the updater server and got no response.

Everything on my pc is up to date!

I can rule out that my modem and router are not faulty. I can rule
out my pc is not faulty, cuz I can connect to the internet and do what
I normally do.

So, I suspect that either Coh has a problem. OR my ISP is screwed up.
I was reading on the COH boards that another user had the same
problem.

I'm currently waiting on Support to give me some anwsers, but I'm no
holding my breathe!

Any Thoughts????

The Selfless Hero <NoSpamPlz@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Okay here's the problem I got! And I've checking everything.

Has it ever worked for you, or is this a completely new setup?

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Shenanigunner: Level 39 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M

Yes this setup has worked for me for the past 10 months with no
problems with the updater.

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 22:27:46 -0000, Shenanigunner
<shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

>The Selfless Hero <NoSpamPlz@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Okay here's the problem I got! And I've checking everything.
>
>Has it ever worked for you, or is this a completely new setup?

What firewall software do you have?

"The Selfless Hero" <NoSpamPlz@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Yes this setup has worked for me for the past 10 months with no
> problems with the updater.
>

> On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 22:27:46 -0000, Shenanigunner
> <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:
>
>>The Selfless Hero <NoSpamPlz@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> Okay here's the problem I got! And I've checking everything.
>>
>>Has it ever worked for you, or is this a completely new setup?

Sysgate Professional Personal Firewall, I can see the updater connect
to the net, thur the firewall, but as for incoming/outdata nothign was
coming in. I can see it connect to port 80, which is used for Web
pages when I click on one of the top links, for wither
news,support,update news, etc etc..

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 07:03:23 GMT, "Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com>
wrote:

>What firewall software do you have?
>

>"The Selfless Hero" <NoSpamPlz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Yes this setup has worked for me for the past 10 months with no
>> problems with the updater.
>>

>> On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 22:27:46 -0000, Shenanigunner
>> <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

>>>Has it ever worked for you, or is this a completely new setup?

The Selfless Hero <NoSpamPlz@hotmail.com> looked up from reading the
say:
>On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 07:03:23 GMT, "Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com>
>wrote:
>
>>What firewall software do you have?
>Sysgate Professional Personal Firewall, I can see the updater connect
>to the net, thur the firewall, but as for incoming/outdata nothign was
>coming in. I can see it connect to port 80, which is used for Web
>pages when I click on one of the top links, for wither
>news,support,update news, etc etc..

Is this firewall part of the "same setup for the last 10 months"?
If so, has it been updated recently?

What permissions do CoH and the CoHupdater have through the firewall?

Xocyll

> Sysgate Professional Personal Firewall, I can see the updater connect
> to the net, thur the firewall, but as for incoming/outdata nothign was
> coming in. I can see it connect to port 80, which is used for Web
> pages when I click on one of the top links, for wither
> news,support,update news, etc etc..

A couple things to suggest. Send an email to NCSoft technical support
with all of the details you have given inthis thread. They will probably
give you a list of things to try. You might also post this on the
Officiall CoH forums in the Technical Support Forums
(http://boards.cityofheroes.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=technical). Go to
the stickied post called "** Before You Post - Common Solutions Inside **
" ( and read it. It will tell you the logfiles and tests to include in
your post.

Another thing to try is to contact your ISP and see what is going on. It
might be your ISP that is blocking the communications of the CoH updater.

In the Common Problems thread, here is what they have to say about CoH
updater problems:
*****Begin Copy/Paste*****
Updater/Launcher Errors

You may see messages like 'insufficient disk space', 'improper
permissions', ' downloading file manifest' or 'cannot rename file'.

The first thing we would suggest is to ensure that you have run a virus
and spyware scan of your system. Then, please try the following:

Rename or Delete Some Files

* Go Ahead. It's Alright! Using your favourite file manager, navigate
to the City of Heroes folder (My Computer -> Program Files -> City of
Heroes)
* Right-Click on the folder and select properties (bottom option). In
the attributes section, ensure that the box for Read Only is not selected
(or shaded grey). If you are prompted to apply the changes, please do so,
for all folders, subfolders and files
* Rename the files with the endings '.lock', '.patch', '.checksum' to
something of your own choosing
* Launch the program (City of Heroes)
* Verify all files
* If this fixes, the issue, you should be able to safely delete the
old, renamed files

Note: You may also try deleting or renaming the PIGGS folder. Allow the
launcher to verify all files.

Rename and Reload

If you are still unable to get past the updater, we have a more drastic
solution for you:

* Delete or Rename the City of Heroes folder
* Visit ftp://client.coh.com/US/ and download the file named
'cohupdater.zip'
* Extract the file and Run it to begin the download (If you are not
on a broadband connection this will take an extremely long time)

_

COHUpdater.OLD Errors

* Make a copy of this file as a safety precaution
* Rename this file as COHUpdater.exe
* Launch the program again (City of Heroes)

*****End Copy/Paste*****

Here is another one

*****Begin Copy/Paste*****
If you are having problems connecting to a server at all or you get stuck
on "connecting" in the updater then it's possible that your machine has
lost track of where the City of Heroes servers are. Some nasty folks have
been messing up the internet with something called DNS poisoning. To fix
it, do the following:

1. Bring up a DOS prompt. The easiest way is to select "Run..." from the
Start menu, type CMD in, and press return.

2. At the prompt, type:
ipconfig /flushdns
and press return.

This will make your machine re-download all the mappings of what is where
on the internet again. Of course, if your ISP is messed up as well,
you'll still be busted. You might try again every few hours. Posting the
results from that support program I listed in my previous post may let
others help you, too.

NOTE: It is normal to get stuck on "connecting..." in the Updater when a
new patch to the game is going in. Just quit, wait half an hour, and try
again.
*****End Copy/Paste*****

--
Marcel
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

CoHUpdater has FULL access thur the firewall. It's also allowed to
pass thur when the lock is enaged!

Yes, this firewall has been part of my setup for the past 10 months.

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:11:06 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
wrote:

>The Selfless Hero <NoSpamPlz@hotmail.com> looked up from reading the
>entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
>say:
>>On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 07:03:23 GMT, "Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>What firewall software do you have?
>>Sysgate Professional Personal Firewall, I can see the updater connect
>>to the net, thur the firewall, but as for incoming/outdata nothign was
>>coming in. I can see it connect to port 80, which is used for Web
>>pages when I click on one of the top links, for wither
>>news,support,update news, etc etc..
>
>Is this firewall part of the "same setup for the last 10 months"?
>If so, has it been updated recently?
>
>What permissions do CoH and the CoHupdater have through the firewall?
>
>Xocyll

Good post. I too say all of this on the Boards when I was trying to
find some anwsers to my problem. I did all the stuff that was
Cut/Pasted. And nothing worked.

Called my ISP And gave them the IP address that the updater connects
too. Had a TS guy have a Tech try to test the server from thier side
(thier only 2 miles away from my nouse), and it came back with no
problems.

On 12 Sep 2005 14:00:18 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin
<mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com> wrote:

> [...]
>been messing up the internet with something called DNS poisoning. To fix
>it, do the following:
>
>1. Bring up a DOS prompt. The easiest way is to select "Run..." from the
>Start menu, type CMD in, and press return.
>
>2. At the prompt, type:
>ipconfig /flushdns
>and press return.
>
>This will make your machine re-download all the mappings of what is where
>on the internet again. Of course, if your ISP is messed up as well,
>you'll still be busted. You might try again every few hours. Posting the
>results from that support program I listed in my previous post may let
>others help you, too.
>
>NOTE: It is normal to get stuck on "connecting..." in the Updater when a
>new patch to the game is going in. Just quit, wait half an hour, and try

Buser

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005

The Selfless Hero wrote:
> Okay here's the problem I got! And I've checking everything.

Let it sit for fifteen to twenty minutes, read a book or something.
Looks like the same problem the CoV servers were having for a couple of
days so I'd suspect it's on their end server/net stuff.

Don't let people yak at you about your stuff if it worked fine one day
and then didn't work the next day without you changing anything in
between. One of the patches futzed my cursor a long time ago, tech
support never managed anything more helpful than "update your drivers".
Of course they never cared that I hadn't changed anything on my system
between the before and after, it just couldn't be thier precious patch,
oh no couldn't.

--
The complete lack of evidence is the surest sign that the conspiracy is
working.

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 20:54:28 GMT, The Selfless Hero
<NoSpamPlz@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Went and unplugged my PC from the router and plugged directly into the
>modem, rebooted and restarted the updater, with no avail.
>
>I tried to ping the updater server and got no response.
>
>Everything on my pc is up to date!
>
>I can rule out that my modem and router are not faulty. I can rule
>out my pc is not faulty, cuz I can connect to the internet and do what
>I normally do.

Bypass the updater if there is no patch

"sw" <sw@eyrie.org> wrote in message

> Open Run-> "cmd".
> In the cmd window, type "ipconfig /flushdns".
> Repeatedly.
> Reboot the entire router chain. Everything between your computer and the
> internet.
> In the cmd window, type "ipconfig /flushdns".
> Yes, again.
> If you're feeling thorough, restart your computer.
>
> Surprisingly, whenever I do this, the updater, which sometimes sits at
> "Connecting..." for hours, goes right through.
>
> Of course, it may not.
>
> In which case, you're just hosed.

Two other related incarnations (incantations?):

netsh int ip reset c:\log.txt

If SP2 is installed...

netsh winsock reset

--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent

"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

chat: @vorlonagent

Vorlonagent (M), level 32 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
RolIing Thunder (F), Level 26 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
Pulsar Staraven (F), Level 18 Controller (Grav/Rad), Liberty
NightfalI (M), Level 18 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
Steel Night (M), Level 17 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
lmpact (F), Level 17 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue
Lemon Tree (F), Level 16 Scrapper (Spine/Invuln), Liberty
Girl at the Bar (F), Level 14 Controller (Mind/Empthy), Triumph
Faraday Facade (F), Level 14 Controller (Illusion/Forcefield), Justice