Closed

LG BD-R drive disappeared from My Computer

OK, guys I'm not very familiar with Windows and need help.

I have a Win 7 64-bit box with a DVD-RW burner and an LG Blu-ray burner WH08LS20. Everything has been working wonderfully for months without problems. The LG software today said that I need to do a firmware update on the BD burner. So I did and hit restart.

Now LG burner is gone from Device Manager! It's completely unusable of course. However when I run "dxdiag64" it does see that there's the drive. I notice that both the DVD-RW and LG drives now use the same driver. Does this make sense?

Drive: D:
Model: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH40F ATA Device
Driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys, 6.01.7600.16385 (English), 7/13/2009 18:19:54, 147456 bytes

Drive: E:
Model: HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH08LS20 ATA Device
Driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys, 6.01.7600.16385 (English), 7/13/2009 18:19:54, 147456 bytes

I've done a restart a couple of times to no avail. Also I notice that when you tell the machine to "restart" it goes off into a blank screen with a blinking cursor at the top left. If I hit the power cycle the thing it comes up fine.

So I have a major mess on my hands. Worst of it the wife is upset at me 'coz can't play blu-ray discs. "This is what you get for doing all this on a computer etc etc". So that's the bigger problem.

Any help greatly appreciated. LG website is useless since they don't even list this model (closest I can see is BH08LS20).

-s

Here's the information from dxdiag64:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 12/26/2009, 08:20:49
Machine name: MEDIA-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gateway
System Model: DX4300
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9750 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 7936MB RAM
Page File: 2003MB used, 13864MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)
System DPI Setting: 109 DPI (113 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Enabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 64bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

------------------------
Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
------------------------
Drive: C:
Free Space: 510.3 GB
Total Space: 938.9 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: Hitachi HDT721010SLA360 ATA Device

Drive: D:
Model: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH40F ATA Device

Drive: E:
Model: HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH08LS20 ATA Device
7 answers Last reply
More about drive disappeared computer
  1. ok my bd drive did the same thing when I uninstalled anydvdhd. It left the anydvd driver in the list of drivers for the device. as soon as I deleted it the drive came back after reboot. If that is not it I suggest rolling your driver back to a previous version, or check on line for a new driver that does not conflict with you other drive. If neither of those work ????????????????
    Hope I helped
  2. Disable the auto firmware update from LG. Update the firmware when there is a problem related to the optical disc.

Reload your old firmware.
  3. Just had this problem yesterday on a brand new Compaq with Win 7 64 bit. It seems that the solution is to delete the Upper and Lower Filters in the Registry. I haven't tried this yet but will soon. See if this link helps:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
  4. Update: This worked for me - the burner is also an LG:

I deleted only the one Lower Filter instance (there are many of them at other locations) at:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SYSTEM
    CurrentControlSet
    Control
    Class
    {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

There was no Upper Filter item at that location.
  5. When AnyDVD scan the disc the other software can't access the optical drive. There is a short period that other software will declare that there is no disc on the optical drive. When AnyDVD is done everything is back to normal.
  6. this worked for me on a Gateway DX300 that encountered the same problem , Full credit to raintoad on fixya

I first decided to do a system recover back to the time the system worked. That worked only for one day. I finally broke down and sat on the chat line with HP. I wish I did this in the first place. The fix is much easier than banging your head against the wall. So.... for future reference here is the fix for an HP Pavillion dv2815nr with a HL DT ST DVDRAM GSA T20L ATA device:

You will need to delete the upper and lower filter from registry.

steps:

1. Tap Window key (flag key on the keyboard) and R key on the keyboard, at once.

2. You would see the Run window on the screen. Type Regedit in the open field and click OK.

3. Click plus sign (or arrow) next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

4. Click plus sign (or arrow) next to System
    5. Click plus sign (or arrow) next to CurrentControlSet
    6. Click plus sign (or arrow) next to Control
    7. Click plus sign (or arrow) next to Class

8. In the left hand window pane click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} to select that key
    9. In the right hand window pane select the UpperFilters registry key and press the delete key on the keyboard Confirm with an OK
    10. In the right hand window pane select the LowerFilters registry key and press the delete key on the keyboard Confirm with an OK
    11. Click on the "X" in the upper right hand corner of the Registry Editor window to close it

After that......

12. Open the device manager window Tap (Window key (flag key on the keyboard) and R key on the keyboard, at once) Type in devmgmt.msc

13. Expand DVD/CD-ROM Drives and right click on the device and select uninstall.

14. After uninstalling, plese click on the system icon on the top and select scan for new hardware changes.

The systm will update and will fix the problem. I hope this helps.
  7. This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Ask a new question

Read More

Optical Media LG Storage