GPU: ASUS EAH4850 x2 in crossfire setup
HDD: WD Velociraptor 300GB 10,000 system drive Windows Ultimate 64
RAID 1: Samsung 750 GB 32 MB cache 7200 Raid 1 array for files
RAID 2: WD 74GB 10,000 rpm drives Raid 0 array for Windows XP 32
Sound Card: Creative X-fi pro
PSU: Zalman 750w heater pipe
Lite-On Blu-ray ROM
Samsung 22x DVD superwriter

I have not done a dual boot system before but wanted to use my old raptors to run xp32bit for work software - Electronic Medical Records, not compatible with 64 bit as well as xray imaging software. I am not much of a gamer but do a lot of imaging work and a LOT of multitasking.

Questions: I do not have enough SATA connectors, should I get a extra SATA board or use the Parallel ports for the optical drives? Is 750 W PSU enough for this build with two video cards and 5 HDDs? How do I set up the Raid 0 OS? I assume I should first install the drives for XP. install XP and then add the velociraptor for Vista.
5 answers Last reply
More about dream machine advice
  1. What your trying to do is a little over your head since your a noob. Consider letting someone build it for you, otherwise break your questions down one at a time and use google to learn. You seek to much info in one post.
  2. Well, this is my first dual boot system but I have put together about twenty machines. This is my first post, however, as I usually just read the forums. Sorry to overdo it. To narrow it down to one question, how do I set up the two operating systems. I am very comfortable setting up the RAID arrays, but I am not comfortable with the second OS.
  3. Bodymech looks like a solid build but my Question is what are you going to use this machine for. If its for gaming tha amount of HDDs you have is a bit excessive, (drop the 74gb raptors) and just have both OS's on the same drive. Also with all that GPU power you might consider changing you cpu to a E8600 or a Q9450 as they are more suited.
    Otherwise it's a pretty solid build.

P.S Roadrunner stop bashing noobs. they come to ask for help not for you to try to sell them your $300 installation service, as I have seen you do. My current build is my first and I did it by myself with a little help from TH forums.
  4. Get an IDE burner to leave a SATA port available. Dump the 74GB Raptors, just use a WD6400AKS or something instead. The 750W should be enough, but if you'd feel more comfortable with 850W you can get an Antec TPQ-850.
  5. Random, thanks for the advice. I left the old raptors in my old machine and will use that when I need it. I do a lot of multitasking with two monitors viewing medical images and streaming video at the same time. I also want to use it to edit and create HD video clips for presentations. My current machine bogs down running iTunes video, internet, powerpoint. Just about to fire it up.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build NAS / RAID Systems