Nvidia or ATI after intel core i7 processors?

global

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Hello,

As I am going to buy a new PC I wish to know which video card brand should to go with keeping in view the future developments such as Intel's release of their Core i7 (Nehalem) processors by the end of this year. And as you know there is dispute between intel and Nvidia at present and it may be possible that Nvidia may not be able to support intel's next processors i.e. Core i7, do you think that Nvidia which is today the defacto standard in PC gaming and widely recognized would lose this position to the ATI video cards in near future? So should I go forward with Nvidia or ATI? Kindly recommend. Thanks :)

sarwar_r87

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
A) there is no reason to think nvidia will have problem in grafix market due to its dispute with intel.
B) nvidia agreed to software support SLI in X58 chipsets.
C)if nvidia can come up with new gpus that are better than ati's offering, nvidia will increase its market share.
D) when u decide to buy a card look into the fact that who is providing better price/performance ratio at budget....iE; if ur budget is 300, which 300$ card is better.....but while considering that, dont overlook issues like defective products or driver support (nvidia's products are accused of being made from bellow standard materials resulting in gpu to die if put under stress, btw, it a rumor and ma 9600 is goin strong, but then again, i run ma card at 42C idle and 62 at load)

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I think currently the ATI (4800s) cards are better value and more future-proof than equivalent Nv cards. Everything can change with the next-gen cards early/mid next year.
I am also not aware of any serious problems with Nv cards not working with Intel Nehalem's.

G

DOH!!!

i just read a post from a new poster who did research and everything and made me real happy that someone did his homework

and then this made me sad =(

anyway

sarwar is correct and the gpu maker has nothing to do with its connection to the processor as enewmen said its all about what the motherboard and cpu combination supports in terms of features

random1283

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2007
Nvidia
I'd Get A GTX28-60 because of TRI-SLI so in the Future a year from now you can buy another 2 cheap and slot them into your new Core I7 SLI mobo

SLI still aint worth it IMO and Nvidia's chipsets aint worth it either - not a fan of them, and btw that scuffle with nvidia doesnt mean they cant still use there video cards etc in a pcie slot.

jeb1517

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007

False.

If I were buying a gaming card TODAY, I would go with AMD's 4870 or 4870X2. Many people on these forums say they don't have a problem with their Nvidia cards but why even take the chance if you're purchasing a new card.

Any recommendation as to what card to get for future builds is just guessing, and thus, pointless.

trinix

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
It depends on what your budget is and what is the best card you can buy for your budget.

If you have money to buy one card, look if it's the highest price performance in that range. Check if you are willing to pay a bit more for a little bit better card or pay less for a good enough card.

Nvidia and Amd/Ati are only names for fanboys. It holds no ground for people who just want a good card. If you have a ton of money, get 2 or 3 280 for all I care, but be aware that you are wasting a lot of money for little performance gain.

And SLI and crossfire. It's not really worth it imho for normal users. If you want 2+ monitors or high resolution it becomes important, but most players will game up to 1600 something. With everything maxed and most games still not using the 2nd card effectively, I'd rather spend money on things that are increasing my performance more than go for things that increase it by a small margin in some games. A bigger screen is a good investment too.