BIOS battery keeps dying

bonehollow

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I have a GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-DS4H and when I built my system it posted up fine for a few, then it failed to post. I swapped out the BIOS battery and all was good again. Now with the new battery it is doing the same thing. Any ideas on why my set up would be draining the BIOS battery so often?

Current set up is as follows:

AMD 9950 OC 3.0, 36 Hours of PRIME95 with no issues
ATI 4870
4 GIGS Corsair 800mhz
750 watt Corsair PSU
Vista 64

Thanks

bonehollow

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I just used one that computer shop gave, they had said it was a new one. But Ill go ahead and pick up a new one. Thanks for the tip!

Jim, I know that the battery does not power up any LED. I only wanted to know if the standby power LED was still on when the system is powered off. I downloaded the manual and it looks like Asus decided that one wasn't necessary on that motherboard.

The motherboard might be defective or shorting out.

bonehollow

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Well I replaced the battery and life is good now. Ill see how long it last. I do not have a LED on my motherboard that I know of, but Ill do some research and see what the deal is. If I still have issues Ill let you guys know, but I think my next step is to try to have Gigabyte swap it out for me. This problem took longer then 30 days for me to find out so no joy from Newegg. Thanks for all the help!