I7 860 turbo mode question [solved]

relyt_12

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
So I'm working on my new i7 860 build. I'm running an Asus P7P55D Pro mobo, and I can't figure out the CPU multiplier. I have seen online where the turbo mode is supposed to go up to 26x (I think), but mine will not go past 21x. I've messed with some of the settings, but I really don't know what to do.

I really don't know very much at all about overclocking so right now I'm not even messing with it, but I was under the impression that turbo mode should get me up to ~3.4 on single threaded applications.

Sorry if this is a total noob question, but I've spent some time googling and I can't seem to find an answer. Thanks for any help!

The i7 860's multiplier is locked so you cant increase it manually...
And that 26x multiplier that you are talking about can only be set by the Turbo mode and not manually...
So if you want to overclock the CPU, then you would have to increase the base frequency...

relyt_12

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009

Thanks for the info. So do you know why mine will not go past a 21x multiplier? I guess there is nothing I can do about it. I read that a lot of people have been able to OC to 3.2 (or 3.4 I can't remember) with turbo on and then that would turbo up to 4.0 on single threaded apps. Is that how it works with only a 21x multiplier? I don't know how this is actually calculated.

relyt_12

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
I finally figured it out. The C-State was not enabled. Once this was changed I started getting 26x multiplier on single threaded apps. This also lowered my idle temps by almost 10 c.