I hear...not dead ppl, but still smth very strange

tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
1. I'm NOT on a mushroom trip.
2. I can HEAR what's happening on my monitor. :eek: (without any normal sound output) If I move my mouse or smth else moves (I scroll down a internet page, for example), an...electric sound comes form somewhere in my PC. It somehow coresponds to the actions of the screen. My system is overclocked, could that be the cause? I didn't really notice when it started. Is that bad only for my nerves or for the PC as well?
3. A methodical quetion to you pr0 overclockers: do you run your system at the highest stable clock all the time, or, for example, clock it back to stock if you don't need the performance for the time or maybe leave the PC on for the night to download something? Won't it wear down or damage the PC to clock back and forth?

Thanks!

randomizer

Champion
1. Maybe something else then? :D

2. I've seen this before, and experienced it myself. I can't for the life of me remember if I ever found the cause, or if it just went away.

3. That is why we have things like EIST and Cool 'n' Quiet. They drop the voltage and clock speed when there is only a light load and restore it to max when the load increases. This does no damage, as it's by design and happens when overclocked or not as long as these features are enabled.

tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

Spending the last fim minutes crawling aroung my case and listening for the source, I think it come form the PSU (Zalman ZM1000-HP), but now it's kinda gone...
By Cool'n'Quet you mean the BIOS setting or the funny small Win app as well? Is it enough if I enable it in bios?

randomizer

Champion
I haven't used Cool 'n' Quiet for years (I've been using Intel CPUs for the last 2 generations), but it should be a matter of enabling it in the BIOS and ensuring your Windows Power settings are correct. Run CPU-Z and watch to see if the speed and voltage jumps up and down with changing load. If it does, you're good. If not, make sure your Minimum Processor State in the power options is 5% or less, and the Maximum is 100%.

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
If what you hear is a high frequency sound that is intermittent then that sound is caused either by a fan in your system that is resonating at a certain speed or by the transformer in your PSU or the one in your monitor.

It coil squeal and its annoying! Zalman psu(s) are known to have that issue.
watch
:eek:

tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Well, at least good to know the sound's not in my head. The sound is not perstant, though. Right now, for example, it's gone. As well as during Crysis this morning.