BIOS wont hold settings

wonderingwhatis

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
I am having a very strange problem with a build that I just put together for a friend; first the specs:

Qx6850 @ 3.6ghz
Nvidia GTX260
Dual 150gb velociraptors
IDE DVD/CD drive
Thermaltake Toughpower 1Kwatt power supply
EVGA 780i 132-CK-NF78-A1
antec 900 case
4gb Gskill PC1066

The build went smooth enough, PC fired on the first try. Vista 64 installed without a hitch.
There was not a single problem with setting up the raid system or OCing the processor.

I first noticed the problem when doing windows updates and restarting the computer. After updates it wouldn't boot back into windows; after some prodding around I went into the bios and it lost the raid settings and in fact every setting that I had entered...strange.

Went to the store and bought a new CMOS battery; still same problem.

Now here (IMO) is where it gets very interesting. If I turn on the PC run it for however long then shut it down and boot it up say 2-3 hours later, it will boot with no problems. But If I run the computer shut it down and immediately turn it back on then all my bios settings will be gone.

So it looks ike the PC has no problems if I let it cool down completely; but if I just do a restart or boot up within a short period of shut down then it clears the bios.

I haven't really tried anything besides the CMOS battery because I am pretty stumped. In fact I don't even know if I'm doing a great job of describing the problem but I am stumped.
Anyone have ANY ideas?

wonderingwhatis

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008

Hmm you know what they say about assumptions right? I think it goes something like they make an ass out of you...

If you REread my first post you will see that I just put this together; didn't pick out any parts didn't give any advice.

Badge: I just tried each DIMM slot individually did not fix it. Also tried using different memory, still same issue.

Right now I'm going to throw in my q9550 and see if that changes anything; I'll post up with results.

wonderingwhatis

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008

Let me just quote you one more time.
Now let me inform you that it does the same thing with my q9550.

Perhaps I should have gone with a phenom in this board? /sarcasm

Anyone have other ideas?

Im going to call EVGA tomorrow hopefully they might have an idea.
If not it is not the worst problem; but It would suck if the board was bad.

Maybe the RAID array has become degraded. It's a lot of work, but if you have a spare HD, remove the two RAID drives temporarily and just do a quick install on a single drive. See if the problem persists with the RAID drives removed and single drive installed. May save you the headache of RMAing the MB.