BUYING SOON: New build based around a pre-build

SamODJ

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Hey All!

Using Over Clockers.co.uk to decide on parts, am thinking of ordering the following:

- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-Bit - OEM (66I-01939)

- Corsair TX 750W ATX2.2 SLI Compliant PSU

- Onboard Sound

- Samsung SH-S223F/BEBE 22x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter - OEM

- Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM

- Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI/HDMI (PCI-Express)

- OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-6400C5 Dual Channel Vista Gold Series DDR2

- Abit IP35 Pro (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

- Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "Energy Efficient SLACR 95W Edition" 2.40GHz

- Antec Nine Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case

I could really use some tips as I want to start ordering soon. I'm tempted to construct myself for the experience of it. I also started this thread as an alternative: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/254498-13-range-design-gaming-build Also do these specs allow a good X-Fire build?

Help is much appreciated.

Sam

SamODJ

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
I was unsure on the P45 due to the article on it here at tomshardware. Any thoughts? The feeling I got was that it was a redundant replacement for the P35.

Taking a look at the available motherboards on cyberpowersystems through the pre builder: Asus P5KC P35 Crossfire Dual-channel? Or possibly the MSI P35 Neo2-FR Intel P35 CrossFire Chipset ? Im doing my best to stick to an £800 budget. More than that, motherboards very much confuse me!

Zenthar

Distinguished
If you want a cheap CrossFire board, you could try an Asus P5Q Pro (P45 chipset). It will run only run CrossFire in x8x8 more, but will cost about 100$ less as well for <5% performance difference. Moreover, if you decide not to go CrossFire, you won't have wasted lots of money on MB. Depending on your gaming needs, you might simply want to buy a 4870 instead of 1 or 2 4850. If you do, you can probably get a smaller 600W PSU as well.

SamODJ

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Yeh the Asus P5Q Pro is seemingly a good budget choice. My intention was that the 4850 gives a good performance to price ratio, moreso than adding +£50 for the 4870; also I have the option to add another 4850 if I really need the extra kick.

Any ideas on cooling? Was currently looking at Thermaltake budget fans; honestly though my first choice would've been the pricier Asus Silent Knight II.

Also I have just started brushing up on RAID. Hadn't even heard of it till about 2 weeks ago; seems like a viable choice seeing as I do alot of design work, could be a good backup system for not much extra cost.

Zenthar

Distinguished
The P45 isn't bad, it's just that people might have expected more. The P45 should be seen as an evolution of the P35 with better support for Yorkfield (45 nm C2Q with 1333FSB) and possibly future LGA775 processors.

The P45 would probably allow you to upgrade to a newer LGA775 C2Q processor (Q9650?) along the way before switching to Nehalem in a couple of years.

SamODJ

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Ah got ya; simply a case of not matching up to the expected improvement. Okay, the P45 i'm convinced on.

Currently then my specs stand at:

-Asus P5Q Pro
-Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600
-NZXT Lexa Blackline Case
-On Board Sound
-Radeon HD 4850 (may choose 4870 over this, but for budget reasons currently sticking with the 4850)

Unsure on:

-500gb HDD. Was considering a RAID setup but need to do further research on the subject.
-Power Supply
-Colling Fan
-RAM: going for Corsair, but what is the difference between XMS2 and Gold?

Thanks for the help so far. ;)

Zenthar

Distinguished
Not much difference between XMS2 and Gold, one is Corair, the other is OCZ. I suggest you get CAS4 memory tho (like GSKill, Geil or OCZ), they don't cost much more.

For the cooling fans, you mean for the casing or the CPU?

For the PSU, I suggest the Corsair 650TX.

As for RAID, I never used it and probably never will. I use my PC for gaming and a bit of work and I find it far less annoying to wait for things to load than to know I have twice as much chances of loosing all my data.

SamODJ

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Ah ok, was unsure on the RAID anyhow, I will leave it out for now.

Cooling fans I was talking for the CPU.

SamODJ

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Looks like i'm going to allocate myself an extra £200. Am going with the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme cooling fan currently, as well as the HIPER PSU 780W 4M780.

Am looking to upgrade my motherboard, and maybe my graphics card (to the 4870.)

SamODJ

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Oh? I read a seemingly good review of the HIPER, is there something particularly bad with it, or is it simply a value issue?