erratic booting up behavior after changing motherboard.

yevin227

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Intel C2Q q6600 at stock
dfi p45-t2rs plus
4 x 2 gb kingston ddr2 667 value ram
1x 160gb seagate
1 x 500gb seagate
XFX 8800GT XXX edition
auzentech xplosion sound card
silverstone zeus 750w psu

hey guys, this is my config above.. i recently changed my mobo.. to this dfi from a gigabyte p35 series..however have been facing this problem of booting up...
have reformatted before installing the new mobo..so i'm sure its not driver conflict..this is my problem below..
Problem.
1.i will turn on the mains's switch
2.turn on com by pushing power switch on the front chassis
3.everything boots properly,as per normal into windows
4.when i shut down..
5.and i want to boot up again..pressing power switch onf ront chassis again..
6.the com goes into an infinite loop..with the fans spinning and all..but the mobo doesn't post at all...giving a code 88 on the dianoistic led on the mobo...
7.i am only able to restart the com by turning on and off the mains and repeating step 1.

so far i tried reseating rams......checking psu and mobo connections...checking gfx and audio card connections...and clearing cmos as well...so far nothing goes..anyone got any reccomendations as to what to do? i just bought this mobo just 3 days ago...
so far i went to the distro..and the distro checked that the mb is working as per normall..flashed to latest bioses..still no change in problem...anyone knwos if it's a psu problem?

akandy

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
I was OCing my EVGA 790I and it froze up on me. When I restarted it everything spun up like it was working but no signal to monitor and no post beeps, nothing. First thing I did was jumper reset the cmos, no change so I took out the battery for a min, no change when I talked to teck support they said take out the battery for 30 MIN! Did that and BEEP! everything works just like before. Maybe try that.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
:bounce: Duh!! You have changed chipset and windows is now loading wrong drivers. Try a repair install and make sure you load the drivers that came with the new motherboard. If problems persist, do a fresh install.

Mike.

cdl1701

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
I agree with mike99 you have to reinstall windows WITH the new mother board and install the new chipset drivers.

ok what happened is you change themotherboards but you didnt format the hard drive. the hard drive has the drivers (instructions) how to work with old motherboard so it get errors when it tries to work with the new one. so whay you have to do is clean install of whatever windows you have and install the drivers that came with the motherboard

cyberjock

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004
Mike99 is right, however, that is not the only problem. Windows must be installed using the new motherboard. You replace the motherboard with anything but the original, you replace Windows too. Like it or not that is how it is :(.

Now, a code 88 on POST LED is a bad sign. Power cycling is the only way that fixes it. There is a strong possibility of hardware failure. What component I am not sure.

Start with a reinstall of Windows. It is possible that the drivers that are loading with Windows are locking up something on the motherboard, and that component is stuck until you remove all power. Remember, the power switch on the front of your computer turns off 99% of the computer, but certain key components always have power.

If that doesn't work, you will need to investigate what 88 means based on your BIOS chipset used. That will at least give you an idea of where to begin looking.