speedmaster

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Hey guys, new to the forum so if this info is already elsewhere, or I'm posting in the wrong place, please let me know. ;-)

I expect to be in the market for a laptop soon to replace my almost 4 year old G4 iBook (PowerPC). I haven't paid much attention to AMD in a while. How do their latest mobile processors stack-up compared to Intel's? Some of the AMD laptops I see are quite a bit cheaper than similarly equipped Intel machines.

No hard-code gaming. Lots of office work, browsing, email, a little video encoding. etc. Watching DVDs. I was settled on a Core 2 Duo machine, but wanted to make sure I didn't overlook a potentially good deal on some of the AMD powered laptops. I leave my laptop plugged in the vast majority of the time so I'm not too concerned with power consumption and battery life, but I really dislike it when CPUS and machines in general get physically hot or overheat easily.

I see Turion, Athlon, and Sempron? How do these compare to the latest Centrino and Core 2 Duo processors, again, for laptops? Anything else worth noting?

Thanks very much in advance!

Chris

Try to avoid laptops with nVidia chipsets. nVidia has allocated 200 million bucks to pay for recalls of overheating laptops earlier this year.

Something like "Intel GMA X3100" or some ATI should be safer, IMO.