Biostar A785ge OC capabilities

Tags:
  • AMD
  • Biostar
  • eMachines
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
October 5, 2009 10:21:06 PM

I purchased this mobo with Athlon II X4 620 for about 120.00 after Mail in rebate. I have read review on biostar's t-series boards being able to oc really well but this board is not a t-series board. Whatever the case maybe this will be a big upgrade from my emachine W3050. But i was hoping to oc this setup but may not be able to now. I might have to fork another 100 for a good board.

More about : biostar a785ge capabilities

a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2009 12:57:14 AM

Why? Try OCing on it first and see. You should be able to get a decent OC out of that board.
October 6, 2009 4:26:21 PM

Shadow703793 said:
Why? Try OCing on it first and see. You should be able to get a decent OC out of that board.

Actually that is my intention, but I google for a few hours and no review on this board or oc result were posted. The TA785GE has plenty of review but the A785GE has nothing pretty much. I was just wondering if any members on here had experience with the board. If not I will be posting results from this rig. I hope the board will give me ability to oc.

It will arrive in the next 2 days.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
October 6, 2009 5:18:10 PM

You won't know until you've had a chance to look at the BIOS. Typically Biostar boards will have some type of overclocking tweeks in their BIOS.

Check back in 2 days and let us know.
a b K Overclocking
October 7, 2009 5:46:49 PM

Oh how funny I have that exact motherboard! Biostar A785ge! Listen DONT DO ANYTHING TO IT YET PLEASE. I need your BIOS to replace my update one, because the update removed some features which should be kept on the board

1. DO NOT UPDATE THE BIOS YET. IF YOU HAVE NEVERMIND

If you have not update your BIOS I would like you to do something for me, since there's almost no BIOS database for that board.
On your Cd you should find the BIOS Update install, install it BUT DO NOT UPDATE. Once I revise the BIOS you currently have, you might be better off sticking to the original one versus the updated.
Once you install "BIOS Update" I would like to "backup" your bios. Once you have done that PM me so you can send it to me.

If I am right that motherboard allows for A.C.C (Advanced Clock Calibration), which is used for unlocking additional cores on processors like the Phenom II family. Updates from the BIOS is probably removing this feature and replacing it with "Core leveling" removing the ability to unlock cores. If ACC is found in the original BIOS, this motherboard would totally be worth paying for.

As for your question:
Overclocking potential is there, however it's voltage increases are limited to .125~ each increase. Which is why I have my amd phenom II 550 x2 at 3.6 ghz :/ 
The board is honestly not that good.
October 7, 2009 8:26:50 PM

well it should arrive sometime to day, but I will be going on a 5 day vacation trip (totally want to cancel it just to mess with my new toy). But I wont be updating bios unless i have too, I am also curious with the acc if i am lucky enough to get a deneb chip to unlock the 6mb l3 caches. In any case I will let you know whats going on. Is there a way to modify bio's manaully ie to change some of the features that a bio's allow you to do like our whole "voltage increases are limited to .125" situation. I have read that it can be very risky trying to do so.
a b K Overclocking
October 7, 2009 9:18:00 PM

Yes there are ways to manually change features in the BIOS, however due to companies doing copy rights it is illegal and highly technical. I wouldn't know where to start on changing the BIOS' coding, and no one has the time or guts to code BIOS' for motherboards simply because it is too sensitive. Corrupting your BIOS could end up costing you the motherboard.

Also ACC is not for unlocking the L3 cache, it's to unlock cores such as the phenom II 550 x2 or the 720 BE (3 core), both of these CPU come from the exact same quad core chip manufacturing only having cores locked because of it being faulty, not up to standards, or supply and demand (if the 965's dont sell they lock cores or underclock them and sell them as lower end processors in the same family of course).

Also I have reason to believe the messed up the BIOS' with updates by increasing the minimum voltage change. Most motherboards work with .05v increases while this one does .125, which is dangerous.
October 8, 2009 3:33:36 PM

I see, i have read over other forums that the ACC had capabilities of unlocking the l3 caches as well if your fortunate enough to get a Deneb rebadge Porpus Ahtlon II x4 620. Was hoping my little 100.00 cpu can turn into a 140.00 Phenom II :p  oh wells the 620 seems to be oc preety well on air up to at least 3.5 ghz.
October 13, 2009 5:09:30 PM

AsAnAtheist said:
Oh how funny I have that exact motherboard! Biostar A785ge! Listen DONT DO ANYTHING TO IT YET PLEASE. I need your BIOS to replace my update one, because the update removed some features which should be kept on the board

If you have not update your BIOS I would like you to do something for me, since there's almost no BIOS database for that board.
On your Cd you should find the BIOS Update install, install it BUT DO NOT UPDATE. Once I revise the BIOS you currently have, you might be better off sticking to the original one versus the updated.
Once you install "BIOS Update" I would like to "backup" your bios. Once you have done that PM me so you can send it to me.

If I am right that motherboard allows for A.C.C (Advanced Clock Calibration), which is used for unlocking additional cores on processors like the Phenom II family. Updates from the BIOS is probably removing this feature and replacing it with "Core leveling" removing the ability to unlock cores. If ACC is found in the original BIOS, this motherboard would totally be worth paying for.

As for your question:
Overclocking potential is there, however it's voltage increases are limited to .125~ each increase. Which is why I have my amd phenom II 550 x2 at 3.6 ghz :/ 

I just finish installing the cpu and mobo and got it up and running. Unfortunately there is no ACC in the original bios on the mobo. but the strange thing is that this mobo can unlock the mutlipier of the 620 from 8-13 in .5 incriments, aslo the vcore is at .050 incriments. I was able to get it to 3.6 ghz running stable, but my lack of experience in oc is probably not doing this board justice. so far the setting i have tried are 13x275@1.40 vcore northbridge muti 7x275=1925 ht link anything above 2000 and xp would lag when loading os. I tried oc using fsb and was unable to get past 8.5x375@1.40 3.18ghz vcore 6x375=2250

CPU: Athlon II x4 620
MOBO: Biostar A785GE
RAM: DDR2 PC2-6400 • 4-4-4-12 800 mhz (set at 5-5-5-20)
Bios: 88GAO911.BSS 2009-09-11
a b K Overclocking
October 14, 2009 8:41:21 PM

3.6 ghz is a decent overclock for the 620. :p  No A.C.C? :/  Also would you mind sending me the original bios? Mine is stuck at .125 increments which is really stupid. I should be able to hit 3.8 ghz on if I can fine tune the voltage :D 

Also what are your temperatures on your CPU?
October 24, 2009 3:17:48 AM

AsAnAtheist said:
3.6 ghz is a decent overclock for the 620. :p  No A.C.C? :/  Also would you mind sending me the original bios? Mine is stuck at .125 increments which is really stupid. I should be able to hit 3.8 ghz on if I can fine tune the voltage :D 

Also what are your temperatures on your CPU?

sorry i been out sick with the flu and been traveling so havent been able to touch the new setup after i oc it.

check pm
October 24, 2009 4:19:43 PM

I wanted to share with the forum my results from overclocking the A785GE board. I was a little disaapointed that the bios did not allow me to unlock the L3 cache because there is not ACC option. But for the price i got the board for it is a a great buy. I am just learning the in and outs on overclocking and so far i have been only able to get to 3.6 ghz, i havent figure out how to oc the igp yet. But this is the results so far. I also upgrade the stock fan to my brother unuse zalman cnps and cpu temps stays at 27c idle and never goes above 45c at full load.

here a picture I am using crystal mark since i dont have 3dmark

August 26, 2010 8:11:19 AM

Guys the A series from Biostar is never made for overclocking, you have to go with T series which are really solid build and superb overclockers.

The feature of ACC that Biostar has removed is because of BIO-unlocKING. The core leveling option is available for which when set to manual can easily help you guys activate your locked cores.

Much details about it can be found over here:
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/event/biounlocking/fea...

I am going for a BIOS update, but surely I will backup my BIOS first.
December 17, 2010 10:49:32 PM

AsAnAtheist said:

As for your question:

I got the same board some time back unlocked sempron 140 to athlon x2. then the bios was upgraded now its back to sempron. my hackintosh has booting problem with sempron. i really need that bios now. did you get the old bios from that guy? if you did, could you please send me? email: neonagesh@gmail.com. thnx.
!