Question About Ram Slots

IceReign

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
I have been trying to figure out for a couple of days to no luck so i figured i would as here. I have a newrig mobo is GA-EP45-UD3R it has 4 slots bank 0 (two different colors) bank 1 (two different colors). I have 2X2GB 1066 C - Reaper sticks. My question is what slots do i place the sticks in b/c after placing the second stick in the computer it does not post.

bpogdowz

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
A lot of times garbage manufacturers like Gigabyte often have 2 or more DOA RAM slots. I usually stick to U.S.A. stuff and not Taiwan or Hong Kong junk.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Please ignore the morons ie ^. The different colored slots are for Dual channel RAM. each colored bank is set for dual channel (2 sticks per channel, dual channel will not function with 1 stick in each bank).

*EDIT* install 1 stick, then enter the BIOS and set the voltage to what the RAM is specced for (usually 2.1V). shut down (after saving your changes), install the second stick, and proceed to boot.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006

That's very interesting I wonder which US manufacturer of motherboards do you recommend?

@ bpogdowz
:pfff:

Op,
The RAM is inserted into matching color slots.
IE, one stick in bank zero and one in the same color slot in bank one.
With only one stick installed, go into your BIOS and manually set the RAM Voltage, Timings and Speed according to your manufactures specifications.

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
@bpogdows
/facepalm

@op
As stated, you have to set the voltages and timings with one stick installed, them install the other ones.

IceReign

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
Question what specific settings must i set manually b/c i tried that and its not booting after placing the second stick in there?

papalarge123

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
it sounds to me u have a faulty second stick.

try insatallin the second stick in on its own into bank 0, if this does work then look to the Mobo for a fault, if it doesnt work thenthe stick is definitly faulty

IceReign

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
Tried that its seems the RAM is fine...Question should computer be able to boot with a stick only in bank 1 nothing in bank 0?

papalarge123

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
should be fine to use either independantly.

although some boards do need bank 0 to be occupied first, best thing is to try it and see.

Fill the bank 0 and bank 1 (same colour) if this fails then try the other.
if that also fails try it in single mode with the 2 sticks in different colours ie all in bank 1 or all in bank 0.

if all fails i think sending back the new board would be ur best bet.

Yes, you should be able to run your system with a single stick in any slot.

Question what specific settings must i set manually b/c i tried that and its not booting after placing the second stick in there?

You need to set the RAM Voltage, Speed and Timings.
Assuming you have This OCZ Reaper Kit, set your RAM speed manually to 1066Mhz, timings to 5-5-5-18 (do not worry about any other timings, leave them on auto) and the RAM Voltage to 2.2v.
Assuming your system boots fine, test it with Memtest.
If it tests fine, you can try lowering the RAM Voltage to the minimum specified 2.1v and retesting for stability.