ATI 4870 install problems

steelydan

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
Hi all - any help truly appreciated.

Due to fan malfunctions on CF 3870's, bought and installed HIS 4870. Removed ATI bloatware, I hope, their drivers. Turned off machine, installed new video card, rebooted to screen that was in 800x600 resolution.

Inserted supplied HIS CD, installed through "Finished" screen. Downloaded ATI drivers from their site.

Brought up ATI Catalyst Control Center. Clicked "Displays". Monitor in 800x600 resolution. Changed to native of 1920x1200, hit "Apply", screen went momemtarily blank and when it came back, resolution was still 800x600. Thinking I miss hit the "Apply" key, changed again to 1920X1200. Screen went blank again.

Hit reset, got blue/black vertical lines, rebooted, black/white screen came listing"safe mode-through "start windows normally". Hit safe mode, screen is currently pale yellow with horizontal black line. Reset, and when I tried "start windows normally", gets through Bios display OK, then screen is gray/black-

Had good screen and script through Catalyst Control Center screen and system went belly up after I tried to establish native resolution.

I know this post is wordy, but I'm a challenged dude. Thanks.

Asus P5E MB, Vista Ultimate 64 bit, 4 Gigs Crucial Ballistic Tracer, Q6600, CoolerMaster Cosmos, Hitachi 750 HD, P&C 750 PSU, HIS 4870 GPU, 28"Hanns.

steelydan

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
Thanks for your quick repsonse. But I still can't a screen to get to the control panel for an uninstall. When I try through "Safe Mode", the pale yellow screen with the horizontal line presents itself. When I try through "Start Windows Normally", I get a black screen. Any suggestions to get to a operating monitor screen. Thanks.