6 gb/8gb ddr2 ram is it needed?

murdoc

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Hello all, I've just upgraded my computer a few months ago and decided to get 4 GB. I thought at first this was something to be proud of until I searched online on youtube videos only to find that the norm has moved onto 4 gb of ram. In fact, most dell's budget systems are now using 4gb of ram.

My question is... Given I'm on a C2D is there a need for 6gb or even 8 gb? I'm not going to upgrade now but I may plan for a future upgrade (say in a year or so) if it is required.

I'm currently on Vista 64bit and the peak I've seen it use so far is as high as 2.9gb.

In recent studies with the core-i7, results show that 6gb seems to do a lot better than 3gb which is also another reason why I'm wondering if more than 4 gb is necessary.

Thanks for your time.

Cartuner401

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
4 GB is still good though. it depends on what you are doing. If you play games and love to multitask and or run programs that use up a lot of ram, then go with 6 GB. But if i were you then stick with the 4GB.

The new i7 support tri-channel DDR3 which means instead of installing ram in pairs of two, you install them in pairs of three (3GB). But the take advantage of thier new technology (4 cores with 8 threads) and the optimize performance, you can install 6 gigs of ram.

Latest posts