Do all 9800GT run at 100% fan speed?

Hi I've been making some research about 9800GT's but, apart from a couple of reviews (literally), all I've found is people talking about their 9800gt's runs always at 100% fan speed and they can't control the fan via software.

Can somebody confirm this?
12 answers Last reply
More about 9800gt speed
  1. i hope this isn't the case,
    mine will (should) be here tomorrow (should have FedEx'ed it),
    i can let you know then.
  2. It might be a Bios fault but from what I know they should not at 100%
  3. What does it matter if it does?

Unless your under the untrue assumption that your fan being a 100% all the time is bad... or its incredibly loud. Somehow magically your case fans are at a 100% fan speed all the time and dont get hurt, but if your graphics card fanspeed is at 100% OMGZORZ!!111 IT WILL ASLPODEZZOR!

yeah.... never got that..

I have had my 8800gt at 70% fanspeed for about 2 months now and it hasn't done anything bad... and before that i had it for about 3 months with it on 65% fanspeed..

But it would be annoying if it was loud, but really if it isnt loud when its at 100% then i wouldnt worry and just get a 9800gt/stop worrying over the one i already had..

An intresting question, however would be that if it IS at 100% all the time, then what temperature is it at idle i wonder..
  4. no, its not the fan exploding thats the problem but some gfx card are noisy.... (I live with a 2900pro in my computer, and have learned to be much more sensitve.. the thing sounds like a leaf blower on 100% (but it only needs to be on 50% most of the time
  5. lol spuddyt, mine(2900Pro) was inaudible in the background amongst my 4 120mm fans and 1 140mm fan...till it hit around 55 percent then i could actually hear it....anywhere past 60% and it was too much, that said on my GTS 512 i have it @ 61%
  6. Exactly, now I have an x1950 Pro and is almost noiseless in 2d mode (since I lower the fan speed to 41%). I couln't bear a card running at 100% all the time.

Also, I have almost no space in my computer so the card must have single slot heatsink/fan, and that of course will make any fan noisier than dual slot solutions.

I really, really hope somebody can confirm that what I read about the fans in 9800gt's was wrong or else the Leadtek 9800GT (http://www.leadtek.com/eng/3d_graphic/overview.asp?lineid=1&pronameid=439) I was planning to buy will never leave the shop :(
  7. SanDiego said:
    i hope this isn't the case,
    mine will (should) be here tomorrow (should have FedEx'ed it),
    i can let you know then.

Ok, I hope I'm wrong. Let me know what your result is :)
  8. will do, just need to get it first, UPS fails =[

and im buying the MSI one, not the leadtek one, i wanted 1GB of mem,
    and before you all slaughter me for 512 being enough,
    and 1gig will slow my performance, oh well, i just wanted it =]
  9. i have my 9800 GT installed and there is no 100% all the time fan, its probably the quietest thing in my computer, cant hear it at all!
  10. But, can you hear the fan spinning up an down when you try intensive 3d apps and when you exit to the desktop?
  11. well i couldn't hear it while playing crysis either, idle temp is only 45C on air cooling, i suppose its because it is 65nm, so i don't think it gets all too hot, ill get back to you on temps under crysis load, srry for not posting back sooner, i was too busy enjoying crysis on High =]
  12. SanDiego said:
    well i couldn't hear it while playing crysis either, idle temp is only 45C on air cooling, i suppose its because it is 65nm, so i don't think it gets all too hot, ill get back to you on temps under crysis load, srry for not posting back sooner, i was too busy enjoying crysis on High =]

I wrote to Leadtek and they told me their 9800gt are default at 50% fan speed and the fan is controlled by its bios, so I just ordered mine, I hope is not too noisy :P
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Reviews Fan Speed Graphics