Wich is the best Core i7 CPU air cooler available to date?

carvy

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
I wish to buy the best CPU air cooler available to date. I'm between the: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme 1336 RT, Zalman CNPS 10X Extreme, Cooler Master V8 and Scythe Mugen 2. Wich is better for an overclocked Core i7 920 3,8-4GHz?

Thank you!

We;; you have to define "best" because your criteria might be different than mine but I think if you took an overall average of all the review sites, the Prolimatech Megahalems seems to be the most consistent winner. By no means are the "top dog" accolades universal, as variabilities between each installation will yield different results, but if consistency is worth anything, the Mega seems to get the nod in 90% of the comparisons.

If ease of installation counts in your definition of best, then I think it's a hands down winner. Here's a few review links:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=316&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=9

"For absolute performance without regard for cost, my recommendation goes to the Prolimatech Megahalems. This is a product designed by the former Thermalright engineering team, and takes the best design aspects into consideration to produce one phenomenal product. The mounting base is unparalleled by any other I've tested, which delivers extraordinary contact surface pressure between the processor and the mirror-finish on the Megahalems."

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php?reviewid=822&pageid=10

"There really is nothing to say about the Megahalems except for the fact that it is nothing short of exceptional. It performs to the highest standard and looks fantastic.

It is not often that we test a product that can match the might of the Thermalright TRUE. Plenty have tried but they always seem to fall just short of the mark, especially when pushed with an overclock. The Megahalems however is a different story and certainly lives up to its prefix, ‘mega’. To beat the TRUE at 3.85GHz is a truly outstanding achievement and the engineers at Prolima should be proud of this fact.

The Megahalems is a class leading product with unbeatable performance and to make things even better it looks absolutely awesome"

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/2870/prolimatech_megahalems_cpu_cooler/index7.html

"All the hype that precedes the Prolimatech Megahalems is spot on in my opinion. What else is there to ask for when looking for your next CPU air cooler? Does it keep the T.E.C.C. cool? Yes it does and it does it well. Is it an attractive addition to your rig? I think so. The Megahalems is going in mine. Is it worth the asking price? Considering I have used the Thor’s Hammer and the Baram and sold both in the pursuit of better air cooling. Guess what? I found it.

Issues with the Megahalems are nil. I can’t find one fault in all the aspects of its testing. Mounting is super easy; an absolute breeze. Choose a back plate and set it behind the motherboard and add four screws. Set the support bars in place and set four thumbscrews. Lastly, lock in the cross bar and screw in two more thumbscrews to secure the Megahalems in place. Prolimatech suggests when applying TIM to coat both the base of the cooler and the CPU with a thin even layer. In my testing this method did produce the best results. Then just apply your fan of choice with the simple to use, but very secure fan clips. Plug in the fan and enjoy the nice temperatures.

As equipped, the Megahalems from Prolimatech is going to run about $60 plus shipping from CrazyPC.com. I think Prolimatech is onto something big and I can’t wait to see what is next. Until that day arrives, you need to seriously consider Prolimatech’s Megahalems for your cooling solution. In single fan testing it ranks in the top with the best of what I have tested and there is more potential, depending on fan choice or how many. Either way you look at it, there isn’t really a better air cooling solution to squeeze out every last megahertz you can muster."

carvy

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Is the Prolimatech Megahalems better (temperature wise) than anyother fan cooler around?

I really want the best air cooler under $90 that fits in my Thermaltake Tsunami Dream ATX Case. I looked for the Thermalright IFX-14BP, but isn't available for me (i'm using amazon's gift cards but they don't have it and under $90).

I'm really confused and want the lower temperatures for my Core i7! I don't care so much about the noise (but don't want a computer that sounds like a jet plane!).

Thank you for your help!

tkgclimb

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
I can't count how many times this or similar questions have been asked, usually the answers are all the same or just refer the person to frostytech. A simple TH search would come up with the same answers (from another post)

carvy

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Following your answers i'm going to buy the Prolimatech Megahalems CPU cooler!

I wish to thank you all for your replies!

Thank you for making my decision clearer and easier!!!