Sign in with
Your question

PATA to SATA converter, does it impact transfer speeds?

Last response: in Storage
January 4, 2010 7:20:46 PM

I recently bought a 3.5" FW800 PATA case that came with a PATA-to-SATA converter so I could use a SATA drive with it. The converter fits on the back of the drive and attaches to the PATA cable coming from the bridgeboard. My drive is a WD Caviar Black 750GB ( WD7501AALS-00J7B1). I'm using it with a mid-2007 MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz, OSX 10.6.1. The case uses an OX922 bridgeboard, I believe.

My question is: using this case with its adapter, will I realize any advantage in transfer rates over a plain FW400-to-SATA enclosure? Is the difference so slight as to make it not worth the added cost?

The drive used to be in an eSATA case but I'm giving up on eSATA with my MacBook Pro for now, until driver issues are sorted out.

TIA for any replies!
a b G Storage
January 6, 2010 6:23:10 AM

If the PATA-SATA adapter works, you'll still be limited by the lower bandwidth of your mobo's IDE(?) interface. In fact, I'd suggest you get a new motherboard when you can to maximize your Caviar's speed.
m
l
January 6, 2010 3:44:20 PM

r_manic said:
If the PATA-SATA adapter works, you'll still be limited by the lower bandwidth of your mobo's IDE(?) interface. In fact, I'd suggest you get a new motherboard when you can to maximize your Caviar's speed.

Thanks for the reply. My MacBook Pro laptop has built-in USB2, FW400 and FW800 ports, nothing IDE. I started out using the WD drive in an eSATA external case, connecting through an eSATA express card. This card is supposedly SATA II (3GPs) but I think my laptop can top out at around 2.5 with this card - not that it ever gets that fast, but I'm pretty sure it's faster than a typical mobo's IDE connection.

I am switching from this express card to the laptop's built-in FW800 interface, going into this case's FW800 port, the case's OX922 bridgeboard turns it into PATA, then this adapter converts to SATA to hook up to the WD drive. I know that FW800 is slower than eSATA, but I guess what I want to know is, will this PATA-to-SATA adapter further reduce the throughput? IOW will I wind up with the same transfer rates as using a more direct connection of a FW400-to-SATA case? My laptop has both FW400 and 800 ports, and a FW400 case is about half the price.

Laptop FW800 port---->external case FW800 input->OX922 FW800 to PATA bridgeboard-->(PATA to SATA converter)-->WD SATA drive

vs

Laptop FW400 port---->external case FW400 input->FW400 to SATA bridgeboard-->WD SATA drive
m
l
!