Anti-virus software for new system?

werewolf16

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Im planning to build a new system but I want to keep my old hard drive which has anti-virus installed and windows xp installed. I am gong to have 2 hard drive: one is going to a freshly installed windows 7 and one is the old one( windows xp). If I installed an anti-virus in the new hard drive which is windows 7, will it conflicts with the anti-virus installed on windows xp? I will be booting from windows 7.

Solution
A AV is absolutely mandatory, unless your pc is not connected to the net, even then if you hook any external storage to it you you will need AV.

When win 7 starts up, it starts up with the apps you install on it.
when win xp starts up, it starts up with the apps you install on it.

2 separate OS that have diff programs installed only run the programs that are installed on them, you cannot run the XP AV on the win7 unless you also install it on the win7 OS.

werewolf16

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

so you mean when I run on windows 7, the anti-virus in the another hard drive( windows xp ) will not be activited? So a anti- virus on windows 7 is mandotary?

Absoutely necessary - when the system is running, XP is not so the AV installed in XP cannot possibly operate. Microsoft Security Essentials is surprisngly effectual, free from the M$ website and easy to configure.

accolite

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
A AV is absolutely mandatory, unless your pc is not connected to the net, even then if you hook any external storage to it you you will need AV.

When win 7 starts up, it starts up with the apps you install on it.
when win xp starts up, it starts up with the apps you install on it.

2 separate OS that have diff programs installed only run the programs that are installed on them, you cannot run the XP AV on the win7 unless you also install it on the win7 OS.

Solution