Sign in with
Your question

PCI Express Adapter

Last response: in Motherboards
November 21, 2008 1:16:39 PM

Im building a new computer (my first for pci Express and Core 2) and Im using a motherboard and processor my friend gave me. The problem is, one of the coolers (southbridge or something like that?) gets in the way of any graphics card cooler except the circular ones. I am going to use an nvidia 9800 GX2 which is double slot so it doesn't even close to fit. I was wondering if it would kill the performance if I used the 4x slot instead? Also I was thinking of using some sort of riser adapter and then glue the metal expansion slot cover to the back of the case. Does anyone know anything about such an item if/ where I can get one? And last question, can I use SLI or Crossfire with cards from different chip manufacturers (ie evga, powercolor) but the same product number?

Thanks a bunch, Im kinda new at this.

More about : pci express adapter

November 21, 2008 1:38:13 PM

So I did some more research and I found out there are PCIe extenders for a format called 1U or 2U but I still can't find where to buy them. Also on a forum one person suggested that this might disrupt the interface timings? Any word on this?
November 21, 2008 1:55:16 PM

why not just use a different southbridge cooler?
Related resources
November 21, 2008 2:34:51 PM

I wish I could. Its one mess of a cooler for all the motherboard parts, connected by heatpipes
November 21, 2008 3:06:07 PM

is it original, or aftermarket??

also, what mobo is it?

not many (if any) mobo's of relatively current construction should have a cooler that interferes with the pci-e slots.
November 21, 2008 3:24:10 PM

I know! It bugs me seeing as it wasn't cheap for my friend who got it a year back, although free for me. Its like they didn't try installing a card into it. Its an MSI P35 Platinum. Its probably outdated and not for sale anymore, but if it is, I highly recommend against buying it!

Heres a pic of the board
http://img.tomshardware.com/de/2007/05/21/intel-chipsat...
The offending part is the silver capped copper cooler on the left
My friend first bought a 8800 GTS unit but when it didnt work he got an 8800GT
That didnt work but it was close so we pulled out a rotary tool And made that dang cooler bleed until it fit
!