Looking for a custom adapter

scorchingice

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Hello all. I am new to these Forums. I enjoy building custom computers and am currently working on one and am searching for an adapter pre-made so that I do not have to make one and worry about interference as it is a shielded type cable.

Basically on Motherboards you have USB ports that have 10 pin connectors where only 9 pins are used. I am trying to find a Y adapter for this so that I can hook up my Modified Case Display and my water cooler as both need to be attached to a 9 pin motherboard USB cable.

The problem is I have only 2 of these plugs on the motherboard and need to hook up 4 items to these 10 pin USB connectors.

I need to hook up my Water cooler Sensor, My Front Display Panel *For temperature monitoring etc.*, and 2 cables for my Cases External USB ports on the front of the case.

Can anyone tell me if there is ANY company that makes a Y-Adapter for these. Basically the cable would be like this... (Roughly like this, anyhow)

Please help. Thanks in advance,
Brian

michiganteddybear

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
ok, how many USB PORTS are used by the devices.. from what I can tell, only 4 (2 external, 1 water temp, one front panel).

While I dont know of a 'y' adapter, you DO have 4 usb ports there. each connector has 2 ports.

as pictured there, to top row of each port is +5v, data, data, ground, ground (last ground can be left unused)
bottom row is same as top, except, last ground is not there.

scorchingice

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I need 4 Full connectors The water cooler and the 2 Front Outside Case USB Ports take up the full Plug (the front cables go to dual USB ports so they fill each 10 pin connector) The Water Cooler I am not sure why but it uses a full size 10 pin plug. The Display I could get away with it as it is a thin plug.

From what you said, Maybe the cables cant be split, like the USB hubs themselves. I was looking at the Front ports as both of them used all 10 pins and one was just split off the other. However if each use independent wires, maybe this cant be done and that is why no cable can be made.

Can anyone confirm this for sure?

Thanks Brian

michiganteddybear has a very good suggestion. If you have space in your case you can simply purchase an add-on card that will let you plug in several USB cables. There are quite a few variations available with as little as one connection or as many as ten connections.

I used to have a similar problem with motherboards that did not come with a firewire connection that I needed for video work. I simply bought an add-on card with a firewire connection and plugged it into an available slot in the motherboard. Works like a charm.

scorchingice

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Thank you very much for your input michiganteddybear. The suggestion you made is a very nice one. I may just have to do that. The only other way now that I see would be to disassemble a USB hub and change the connectors back to the 10 pin ones from the standard USB ones.

Then I would make a one (10 pin male) to six (10 pin females) using the Hub. Just like an external hub, only changing the female USB plugs to female 10 pin plugs and the one male USB plug to a male 10 pin Plug. Then make a nice case for it and mount it inside the case.

It could be done I am sure, but probably a royal pain in the Wazoo. Is it worth it, I guess that depends on how bad I want it and how little PCI expansions I have. ( Running 2 8800GTX cards in SLI and a Xi-Fi SB Fatality card ) I have no free PCI slots :(

G

you only have 2 USB ports on a semi-high end mobo?

Thats weird mine has like 12 lol... and only 4 are from the case

scorchingice

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Actually I have this motherboard :

EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188024

13-188-024-02.jpg

13-188-024-04.jpg

The Motherboard has 2 10 pin connectors on the motherboard (Both are filled by the Case I use. Cosmos 1000 which has 4 total USB Ports on the front of the case. Each set of 2 USB Ports Uses a Full 10 pin connector on the motherboard.

This is the Case I use.

COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/ Silver Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119138

11-119-138-21.jpg

11-119-138-07.jpg

This is The Panel I have Custom Installed into the Bezel of the Case.

nMEDIAPC PRO-LCD Media Center Programmable LCD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811996003
11-996-003-03.jpg

Here are the 2 Plugs I need to connect
11-996-003-08.jpg

11-996-003-05.jpg

And this is the Radiator I need to hook up.

COOLER MASTER RL-HUB-KBU1-GP Water Cooler - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103045
35-103-045-07.jpg

It doesnt show the plug close up.
35-103-045-14.jpg

But all together the 4 Case USB ports + the Motherboard has 6 USB ports in the area of it where you plug in network cables etc. So that makes a Total of 10 USB Ports I have. But the Free USB Ports are not going to help me plug in my Front Panel Display or My Water Cooler Radiator/Pump Unit.

I need more 10 Pin Female USB bays, Not USB plugs like the ones on the front of a case.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
No offense, but I think you will regret that water cooling setup over just a good air setup; it might do a decent job, but might break even with a good aftermarket air cooler. Hopefully your expectations of that cooler will not be the same for all watercooling loops; you typically need far better components to achieve what is typically regarded as good watercooling. I'm not trying to bash, just wanted to help and/or provide clarity.

What cooler are you trying to run, currently? (Nevermid...I checked the link... :) )