Sign in with
Your question

Is WD Caviar Blue 320GB compt with old Intel board?

Last response: in Storage
January 5, 2010 3:36:56 AM

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My Intel board
Intel® Desktop Board D845GEBV2

This is a very old motherboard.

My basic pc spec:
Intel P4 2.66
WD 120GB IDE

Here are some docs from Intel on connectors and jumpers, but I don't really understand whether this board is compatible with this 320GB drive.

Connectors
Config. Jumpers

Intel D845GEBV2 homepage
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/D845G...

Please help me. Thank you very much.H
January 5, 2010 4:00:48 AM

No it's not compatible because the Caviar Blue needs a sata port connection and that motherboard only has IDE ports.
m
l
January 5, 2010 4:13:31 AM

I think there is adapter that can convert IDE to sata?
m
l
Related resources
January 5, 2010 4:18:03 PM

wooo another 15 bucks.. lol

The reason I need a new internal is because I am suspecting my old IDE will die within couple months or so. Recently I heard noise. My other IDE die a year ago, had similar noise

So if I need to run my XP on a USB is probably unwise.
I won't upgrade my desktop since I am now at college, most of the time I am good with my laptop. Yet, summer time or break time I come home and use my desktop.
m
l
January 5, 2010 5:24:40 PM

What? Upgrade your desktop now and get in those college lockout LAN parties! Can't game on a laptop, not as fun.
m
l
a c 342 G Storage
January 6, 2010 1:39:33 PM

1tym is right, this mobo can ONLY accept IDE drives (aka PATA or ATA), but not SATA. HundredIslandsBoy pointed you to the wrong adapter device. The one referenced is to adapt a PATA drive so it can plug into a SATA port, and you have the opposite need.

You could go either of three ways. The simplest is to buy an IDE drive that IS supported by your mobo - ANY IDE drive would do that. BUT there is another limit you need to conform to. The docs you linked to say that these older Intel boards have only the original (28-bit) version of LBA support in their mobo-based drive controller BIOS. This means it can NOT use any drive larger than 128 GiB (a drive maker will call this 137 GB). On this score you get three sub-choices. One, obviously, is to buy an IDE drive smaller than 137 GB. Another, IF it is available, is to download and "burn" in a new BIOS version for your mobo that does add in the newer version, called "48-bit LBA Support". The third (does not require burning an updated BIOS) is an interesting option on Seagate drives, available if you download for free from their website the Seatools for DOS utility. (Ideally, get the version you use to write your own floppy disk of these utilities. Then you boot from this floppy disk to run the utilities independent of Windows.) Seagate has a feature that allows you (using this Seatools utility) to tell the drive's on-board controller to behave as if its size is limited to what you specify. To do that you actually specify the MAXIMUM number of addressable blocks it will accept and use. That number is 2^28, or 268,435,456 "blocks" or sectors. (At 512 bytes per sector, that comes to 137,438,953,472 bytes - see where the 137 GB limit comes from?) Once you do this, the disk will always behave as if it is a 137 GB drive, irrespective of its actual real size. (Oh, for future use, the Seatools utility also has a place to restore to full original size.) I did this for a 160 GB drive I bought for an older mobo that could not be ungraded to the new 48-bit LBA Support, and my new "137 GB drive" works perfectly.

The second option is to buy and install a PCI bus card that gives you a true SATA controller with several SATA ports, then you buy and connect to it the SATA drives you want. If you do this that board certainly WILL support the newer 48-bit LBA, and hence you can buy and use any SATA drive much larger than 137 GB. Just be aware that you will probably have to load a driver for this device into Windows to make it work (not a problem at all) BUT that also means you won't be able to BOOT from a SATA drive connected to that card. So, you still will need to have an IDE drive you CAN boot from to get going. You should be aware, also, that in this configuration which does allow (from a hardware perspective) using a SATA HDD over 137 GB, you will need your OS to suuport the 48-bit LBA system, also. The original version of Win XP did NOT have this. It was added to XP in Service Pack 1 and is included in all subsequent SP's for XP, and in Vista and Win 7. If you have Win 2K, check the detail, but I THINK it was added to that one in SP4.

The third option, which may be a bit less reliable, is to find an adapter that lets you connect a SATA drive to an IDE port. They exist. But again, remember that in this configuration you will be using the mobo's IDE drive controller with the older version of LBA, and hence limited to a drive of less than 137 GB.
m
l
January 6, 2010 3:04:58 PM

Paperdoc got it right. I just read the Newegg description IDE to SATA but did not read the specs. Sorry.
m
l
!