LAN Teaming - Will it help me out??

taylorjes

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
So I've just purchase a new system (courtesy of Newegg and the Tom's Forum).

GA-EP45-UD3P
Q6600
Sapphire Radeon 4850

My mobo is dual-LAN, teaming able. I have a ReadyNas DUO with 2x500GB RAIDX. My DUO is my media center and storage hub; conveniently it supports Jumbo frames. I'm looking at a Netgear GB Switch to increase my transfer speeds and utilize Jumbo frames.

My intentions are to hook my new mobo (dual team) and my DUO (and subsequent Xbox 360) to the switch. I also have 2 laptops and another (POS) desktop which will stay connected to my Linksys WRT54GS. My thoughts are:

1) I've started backing up my DVD collection (leading me to look at moving my DUO up to 1.5TB)
2) Ripping dvds is fine and dandy on my current P'os'C (the new one will be even better) however I still have to rip local and move to the DUO.
3) with the advantages of teaming and Jumbo frames I should (counting my toes math) be able to rip direct to the DUO and be done with it.
4) less important will moving my ReadyNAS off my router (onto the switch) affect its internet connection speed

All that said and done... are there other options??? would upgrading my router to something with a few more ports, Jumbo frames, and GB LAN be a better option???

thanks

~Tom's is now my #1 source for hardware advice~

Solution
NETGEAR GS108T 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Smart Switch 8 x RJ45

$84 after rebate.

That will do teaming, jumbo frames, etc.

But it won't really help you. If you set up a teamed connection from your new computer to the switch and then a single line from the switch to the duo, it won't give you any increased speed. You will only be as fast as the slowest link. Even if the duo supported teaming, you won't able to rip data fast enough to overwhelm a single gigabit connection anyway.

You could just run everything off something like a NETGEAR GS108 10/100/1000Mbps, which is only $35 after rebate. And not worry about teaming.

As for your other question, you will not lose any internet speed going through the switch. I would...

taylorjes

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
So I spoke too soon, I did not realize that my switch needed to support IEEE 802.3ad standard (Link Aggregation/Teaming). That immediately means a managed switch with compliance to both IEEE 802.3ad and IEEE 802.3x (Jumbo frames)which put my switch price at ~$550.00 and that not even close to my budget for a home network.

Feel free to leave comments, I would still like to hear about other scenarios.

gimpy1

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
NETGEAR GS108T 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Smart Switch 8 x RJ45

$84 after rebate.

That will do teaming, jumbo frames, etc.

But it won't really help you. If you set up a teamed connection from your new computer to the switch and then a single line from the switch to the duo, it won't give you any increased speed. You will only be as fast as the slowest link. Even if the duo supported teaming, you won't able to rip data fast enough to overwhelm a single gigabit connection anyway.

You could just run everything off something like a NETGEAR GS108 10/100/1000Mbps, which is only $35 after rebate. And not worry about teaming.

As for your other question, you will not lose any internet speed going through the switch. I would run everything that is wired to the switch, the switch to the router, and the router to the internet.

Solution