hibbiejibbie3

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
I have a Netgear WNR2000 wireless router that I bought refurbished like a month or two ago. It's connected to gateway/modem whatever it's called that my ISP (Roadrunner) gave to me. Now onto my problem.

Everything has been working fine. Very fast and speedy. Until today. I play some Counter Strike Source on my laptop connected wirelessly and I've begun to start lagging out. Also I was playing Halo 3 on my 360 which is connected BY WIRE into the wireless router and I lagged out. I've also noticed that videos and web pages are loading slowly at random times. Mostly frequent times.

So my question is, does this sound like a wireless router problem, or a gateway/modem problem? Should I go ahead and try just plugging straight into the gateway/modem and testing with games n such?
There was a thunderstorm the other day and everything is plugged into a surge protector. I think my power may have flickered or even gone out but I'm not sure since I was at work at the time. Sorry if this is very vague. Feel free to ask questions.

Thanks.

Note: I've gone to speedtest.net frequently and my scores have been the same. I don't know what's up with that.

lyleb

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
Connect to the wireless router with an Ethernet cable and check the speeds.
Then connect directly to the ISP modem with an Ethernet cable and check the speeds.
If the speeds are good then you need to look at the wireless.

Cordless phones and microwave ovens can cause interference.
Try this program to check the airwaves for other access points that can cause problems.
http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php

Try changing the wireless channel to improve the signal.