Evga 780i Motherboard Problems...

Erebus

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
If anyone could help me with this, I'd appreciate it..

I got 2 9800 Gtx graphics cards a few weeks ago, and at the time, I was using a XFX 680i mobo with a Q6600 cpu. I decided to upgrade to a Evga 780i mobo, to take advantage of the PCI-E 2.0 SLI slots for my 9800s. Installation went fine, but when I went to overclock like my past system was, I ran into some big problems. I've been running my Q6600 at 3.0ghz just fine in my past XFX 680i SLI LT mobo, but now, if I overclock the cpu past 2.7ghz, it refuses to boot. It just sits there with the fans blowing at 100% and never displays POST or anything. I have to manually jumper the bios to get it to start again. I even tried flashing the bios to the latest p07 and it doesn't want to flash at all.
I've heard tales that the 7 series doesn't like overclocking (and people getting bad motherboards), so I guess my question is (since i just bought this thing) is this normal for this board, or should I ship this back for another one....

Thanks for any assistance....

G

the problem you had is the same as the one i had, what i found to be the solution was reinstalling windows and setting the dimm reference voltage to 50% of the dimm voltage manually, i am running the msi 780i and for a long time the only way i could start the system was in standard clock mode and then enter the bios and boot up my saved settings but now i boot up everytime on these settings with a q6600
vid 1.3 +.175 (1.475)
dim volt 2.2 (memory)
dimm ref volt to 50% of dimm
cpu gtl ref 65% of vtt(fsb)
nb ref volt 68% ovf vtt
vtt 1.252 volts

THE DIM REF VOLTAGE IS THE KEY IF YOU ASK ME

G

SORRY MY FSB WAS AT 378X9 AND WAS LINKED TO RAM DDR2 756@5-5-5-17 2T