Memtest fails with multiple memory modules in at one time

stim

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
This is what I have in my setup:

-GIGABYTE GA-G33M-DS2R Motherboard
-CORE 2 DUO 6300 CPU
-Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Premium OS
-EVGA 256-P2-N554-AX GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card
-CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 SDRAM 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400 Memory

Everything has been working fine for the past year and a half or so, but over the past month or so my computer has been randomly rebooting. When it comes back on, it gives the message saying that it recovered from a bluescreen error.

I decided to run the Memtest86+ program, and it immediately came up with several errors. I then took one of the memory modules out and re-ran the test and it passed. Then I swapped memory modules and re-ran the test and it passed again. I've tried a single memory module in each of the four slots and the test will pass each time. However, if I have two memory modules in at one time then the test will get several errors. This is the case whether the memory is in dual channel mode or not.

My thought is that the problem is with the motherboard, but since the board is out of warranty, I just wanted to make sure that it couldn't be something else before I replace it. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
It could be the motherboard. But is could also be the ram. Try adding +0.1V to the voltage for the ram and see if it passes. Sometime running multiple ram modules requires a bump in voltage for stability. However, this is usually only the case when going from 2 to 4 sticks.

stim

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Hey thanks for the quick reply.

I guess I should have mentioned that I added +0.1v to the voltage for the ram when I first built the computer (the motherboard is at 1.8v by default and the ram is supposed to run at 1.9v).

Am I OK to add an additional +0.1v or will that screw something up?

Thanks again.

stim

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Thanks for the input. I bumped the voltage up another +0.1, but I'm still getting errors when both modules are in. With one module in at a time, there are no errors.