Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected

aaclunckaaa

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device"

motherboard is a p5q pro asus motherboard. It detects hard drive at start up and also when I press f8 during start up. Hard drive already has winXP service pack 2 and other stuff since it was used as a master on my old computer. I have also placed it first as a boot priority. The blue cable head (IDE) is connected to the mother board and the black head is connected to hard drive which has the little white square as a master.

Is your cdrom drive slave or master? My preference is to use cable select for all IDE drives. That way you don't have to worry about master and slave. The device on the middle connector (grey) is slave and the one on the end connector (black) is master.

What was your old computer and did it have the same or a similar Intel chipset?

aaclunckaaa

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
yes the hdd has the black and the cd burner has the grey connector. they also have the white box at the back, that is the way to have master and slave I think w/o cable select.. My old comp was an asus p4s533. I will try to replace my old hdd with a new one that I bought yesterday and try to install win xp on it. Hopefully the cd burner will be recognized.

aaclunckaaa

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
well I just put my new hdd in there and I put the win xp cd and while I can hear the cd spin it says that no hard disk detected.

Jumper settings obviously matter and installing XP from another computer will only cause more issues (unless the other computer has a similar or identical chipset). Are both the hard disk and the cdrom drive jumpered for cable select? If not, then make sure the hard disk is master and the cdrom is slave.

Enemy_hero

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Alright, I've had the same problem. I tried various fixes that i've read on numerous forums, none of which worked. I ended up solving it myself. The problem is that the drivers that are loaded on ur hdd are from and old chipset config. It doesnt matter if the chipset is close to the same, its all about i/o configuration. The verisign code is for ur old install. If u were able to get to the device manager, u would see the verisign code in the device properties. Verisign codes are specific to each install depending on chipset/hardware configuration. What u will need to do is find a cd drive (maybe dvd) that ur current windows install has the drivers already loaded for. I was trying to repair an install of windows with a sony dvdrw present. Wouldnt boot at all. So i swapped it out for a lite-on cd burner, booted first go. I hope this helps u get to the problem.