Sign in with
Your question

Ati driver 8.6 or 8.7 or 8.8 ???

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 3, 2008 1:58:58 AM

guys i need some thoughts. so tell me if anyone knows which driver is best i am using 8.6 driver and think it's fine, but maybe iam wrong..

Thanks to anyone

More about : ati driver

a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2008 2:01:09 AM

And your card is...?

Esop!
September 3, 2008 2:07:09 AM

Yuka said:
And your card is...?

Esop!

Visiontek 4870
Related resources
September 3, 2008 2:08:33 AM

If it works fine, keep it. :p 
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2008 2:08:46 AM

Catalyst 8.8 imo.

Now, if u have questions regarding the "changes", u can always read it right from where u download the drivers.

Esop!
September 3, 2008 2:11:44 AM

Yuka said:
Catalyst 8.8 imo.

Now, if u have questions regarding the "changes", u can always read it right from where u download the drivers.

Esop!

i did read about that driver.. just some upgrades what i don't need, but what if there is something else to improve gaming.. i don't know
September 3, 2008 2:12:03 AM

dagger said:
If it works fine, keep it. :p 

you think? ;]]
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2008 2:20:19 AM

"Catalyst™ Control Center: New Avivo video features"

That's good enough for me to get 8.8 =P

But dagger is right, if you don't have glitches or anything, sure...

Esop!
September 3, 2008 2:22:11 AM

_orbital_ said:
you think? ;]]

Uninstalling and installing drivers leave leftovers that may cause problem. Besides, it's a hassle. Unless you read some review about a particular driver that has something specific implemented which results in solid performance increase, why bother?
September 3, 2008 4:19:14 AM

dagger said:
Uninstalling and installing drivers leave leftovers that may cause problem. Besides, it's a hassle. Unless you read some review about a particular driver that has something specific implemented which results in solid performance increase, why bother?

What! why are you telling people to not update there drivers man?

You should update your drivers everytime new ones come out! Beta drivers are a different story as they are unfinished and could be unstable. With a card as new as the 4870 you need to update your drivers to increase performance and bug fixes in current games!

If poor performance and buggy gameplay is what you like then do as dagger said and never update your drivers.
September 3, 2008 4:53:54 AM

Its recomended to only change drivers if you are experiencing issues (be it something you are or arent aware of) with your current drivers, or just run benchmarks alot and want the bits and pieces of + points.

But me personally, I change drivers everytime an updated version comes out, at least with this 4870. Back when I used Nvidia I was deathly afraid to change drivers once I found something stable.
September 3, 2008 5:29:00 AM

8.6 + hotfix is the most stable. 8.7 and 8.8 were roadcrashes for me.
September 3, 2008 6:56:26 AM

If you use vista Id stick with 8.6 If I were you, 8.7 is a disaster area for stability under vista, 8.8 is better but still very bad, maybe by 8.9 they will get the drivers sorted so they can display a plain vista desktop without the drivers stopping responding then restarting regularly...
September 3, 2008 7:39:54 AM

dtq said:
If you use vista Id stick with 8.6 If I were you, 8.7 is a disaster area for stability under vista, 8.8 is better but still very bad, maybe by 8.9 they will get the drivers sorted so they can display a plain vista desktop without the drivers stopping responding then restarting regularly...

8.7 was ok for me, but installing 8.8 trashed my system so badly that I had to use system Restore to go back to a stable environment. The display worked but Video capture stopped, there were problems with video overlay, and programs would hang.

System is two 4850 in crossfire, XPSP3 on an Asus Maximus with Q6600.
September 3, 2008 12:24:34 PM

Currently I've got just 2 games installed on my hdd: BF2 and Race Driver: GRID.

I downloaded 8.8 yesterday and I'll be reverting to 8.7 today.

8.8 didn't fix the vsync problem in BF2 which was really disappointing. I got a huge performance hit in GRID, too. I was getting 65-75 fps with 8.7, now I'm getting 40-55... crap.

September 3, 2008 12:50:51 PM

If it's not broken, don't fix it. Unless the new driver comes with something specific (fix for an error in a game you actually play, or improved optimization backed up by benchmarks), keep the old driver that works. As you can see from other users' posts, updating driver unnecessarily can cause problems. Don't just jump on the bandwagon with every single driver update that comes out. Every system is different, and can react differently to new drivers. Find one that works for you and stick with it until something with a clear advantage comes out.

btw, xX12amanXx is a nublet whose posts directly contradict others' posts from personal experience of driver updates.
a c 130 U Graphics card
September 3, 2008 12:57:52 PM

@ dagger.

:ouch:  :ouch:  :ouch:  I just looked nublet up :ouch:  :ouch:  That's harsh. And not very lady like :kaola: 

In my defense at having to look it up 1 I don't play online games a great deal
2 At least I had the sense to look it up

Mactronix
September 3, 2008 1:01:44 PM

mactronix said:
@ dagger.

:ouch:  :ouch:  :ouch:  I just looked nublet up :ouch:  :ouch:  That's harsh. And not very lady like :kaola: 

In my defense at having to look it up 1 I don't play online games a great deal
2 At least I had the sense to look it up

Mactronix

Lol, the point is, don't jump on every incremental driver update. 8.6, 8.7, what's the difference? Risking possible corruption for a 1fps increase, if that. Wait 'till 9. :na: 
September 3, 2008 4:06:35 PM

dagger said:
Lol, the point is, don't jump on every incremental driver update. 8.6, 8.7, what's the difference? Risking possible corruption for a 1fps increase, if that. Wait 'till 9. :na: 

very true......i moved to forceware 177.92 from 175.19 few days back although it didnt have any improvement that i might need. i thought, "what the heck, its just a driver. how bad can it be."

and to my disbelieve my average fps in GRID came down to 30 from 50+......and in grafically intensive areas, my fps goes as low at 20fps....making it a slide show.....previously my minimum fps was 45....i tried go back to the old driver, but it din help my performance. i had to lower AA to maintain playable fps
September 4, 2008 8:44:38 PM

sarwar_r87 said:
very true......i moved to forceware 177.92 from 175.19 few days back although it didnt have any improvement that i might need. i thought, "what the heck, its just a driver. how bad can it be."

and to my disbelieve my average fps in GRID came down to 30 from 50+......and in grafically intensive areas, my fps goes as low at 20fps....making it a slide show.....previously my minimum fps was 45....i tried go back to the old driver, but it din help my performance. i had to lower AA to maintain playable fps

That's likely due to leftover from old driver conflicting. Happens a lot. Uninstall driver, reboot, run driver sweeper, then reinstall driver.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1655
September 4, 2008 10:34:23 PM

Saying "wait for 9" or some other arbitary figure is just stupid. 9 means 2009, not some magic fix.

Get the drivers that work for you. It looks like they will need a lot more numbers that 9 at the moment, but hey.
September 4, 2008 10:43:25 PM

The_Abyss said:
Saying "wait for 9" or some other arbitary figure is just stupid. 9 means 2009, not some magic fix.

Get the drivers that work for you. It looks like they will need a lot more numbers that 9 at the moment, but hey.

That was just as an example for reasonable period of time. More like third of a year, as opposed to every other week.
a c 130 U Graphics card
September 4, 2008 11:05:32 PM

It just comes down to what works for you really. As dagger says changing them every release just because really isnt worth it. Any increases will be slight and alot of the time it fubars up a perfectly good system. Still as long as you uninstall them properly then there is no lasting harm done.
Personally i wait for 3-4 releases that way any increases are noticable. As it goes i have just built a new system its about 2 months old now and the old system was still on 7.12. Just checked as i used the disc drivers and im actually running 7.11 on this one. Still it works fine so im not bothered although i will be reviewing the updates to see if there is any major improvements in the newer ones.

Mactronix
a b U Graphics card
September 5, 2008 1:06:21 AM

Only thing i don't like skipping so many updates, is when u have to do "historical work"... There are some weird times when a driver can patch so many damn things at once that reading all that takes forever xP

I like updating on every release just for the fun of it, lol

If it works crappy, i go back to the previous one, period.

For example: C8.6 was a disaster for my X1800... WoW crashed constantly! So i went back to 8.5 and voilá (no windows recovery crap though).

That's the lazy way: if the old one works, and the new one too, stay with the new one, lol.

Esop!
September 5, 2008 4:15:33 AM

dagger said:

Wouldnt be the first scorn!

Anyway just giving you a hard time becuase it sounded like you were saying never update driver's. Ya know like if it works dont fix it...to me that means if it works never update..but oh well.

I update when i can.
!