Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I'm thinking of doing an upgrade of my desktop. my desktop currently has:
3.0 ghz P4
intel 915 mobo
4 gb ram
new antec 650 PS
flimsy case

The speed is fine, Running Vista ultimate 32 ( i have the disks for 64) but the thing is when it heats up and the fans go full throttle it is loud and the case shakes. I would want to leave the machine on for extended downloads, thus it would need to be quiet and low power. Speed is always nice but wouldn't most new processors be better than what i have?

I would want: for less than $250 total
new mobo
new processor
new case (thinking -antec 300)

Any ideas on the other parts?

Long version: I just rebuilt my wife's PC into an Antec Sonata. It is a solid, heavy case and is very quiet. I used a Ninja Mini CPU cooler on it, because even though it is 80mm, it is supposed to be quiet. It is.
If you got an Antec NSK4480B ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129032 ) for $80, I think that would be more quiet than the 300. It is as thick as the Sonata. You don't need the included 380W Earthwatts PSU, but it would be a competent spare to keep around, as it would have no trouble powering your rig.
The board I used was a GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-DS4H AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128352 ). It can take up to a 140W Phenom, and the HD3300 integrated graphics is actually good enough for some games. I used a 5000+ X2, but her old PC was a Pentium 930D, and she says this was a big jump for her.
Short version:
Nice choices by amdfangirl except the mobo can't take later AMD chips if you want an upgrade path there. Go with a 790GX or 780G board if you want AMD.

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Thanks --- you have both given me a lot to consider. I know next to nothing about AMD systems but I thought that would be the upgrade route this time. I may even go with onboard graphics as i'm pretty sure it would top my x600 ATi card that I have now --- (and use less power?)

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
You don't upgrade much do you? The 740g is slightly more power efficient than the 780g. Onboard graphics are pretty good tho. I have the 690G the older version of the 740g and you can play many older games at 1024x768. HD 720p is fast enough too. For a non-gamer IGPs are pretty good. Besides, you can always upgrade later!

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I don't game at all so upgrading all the time doesn't make since. I got that last graphic card to run aero.... although as a active member of the forums here I have this urge to get a Q6600 but that would be totally overkill. I was surprised by how well my old system handled handled vista when every gamer here was bashing it - oh well..

thanks for the suggestions again