Need a new PSU

Hello,

I've never really cared about PSU quality too much... but quite frankly the PSU I now have frightens me. It's a super generic (480W POWMAX AG II) that came with a cheap case I bought a while back. I just recently installed a second 7200RPM SATA drive, and a 3100RPM CPU fan with manual speed controller. 2 things now occur randomly. Computer reboots at any given time, and computer reboots whenever I adjust the fan speed with the controller.

My system ... nothing amazing -

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200 (Toledo)
2 x 1GB PC3200 Ultra DDR
Nvidia 7600 GT (580MHZ core)
1 WD Caviar 250GB 7200RPM (YS)
1 WD Caviar 80GB 7200RPM
MB K8T Neo2 v2.0

Not sure how much my CPU fan matters but it's a 3100RPM fan so I imagine it draws some decent power. System has always been super stable... and even still only has this problem maybe once a day. I can usually game (WoW/EQ2) for hours with no problems. Just starting to get concerned... even if it's not PSU related, I still need a decent one!

Anyway, looking for a PSU that's under $70 and from a reputable name. I read a lot of good things about Corsair, but I don't think I need something that good...

Thanks much!
6 answers Last reply
More about need
  1. If you like Corsair, check out the new 400CX. It offers Corsair quality for an affordable price. It would work great with your setup.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008 $59.99 - $10 MIR
  2. No worries about the fan, it will be a couple of watts only. For example I found one at newegg called KD1212PTB1-6A, it runs at 3100 rpm, and on the manufacturer's site it says 3.7W. Other models are rated as much as 12W, but you get the idea.

PSU:
    Corsair 650TX, $72.24 after rebate and shipping
    http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-650w-tx-series-80-plus-certified-power-supply-corsair-tx-cmpsu/q/loc/101/206178324.html

Mind you, it's enormous overkill for your current PC. However, between the 650W at $72.24 and the 400W at $61.42 (both after rebate and shipping), I'd very much prefer the 650W because it's reusable in your next PC. I'm hoping you won't keep using a 7600GT for much longer - you're missing a lot of fun with it :( A 400W PSU won't support a decent video card made this year. For example HD 4850 manufacturers recommend 450W or more.
  3. Thanks for the replies.

Two things about the 7600GT. 1) I went with it only because AGP board was received as a Christmas present and couldn't rightfully ditch it for a PCI-e. 2) It's actually not a bad card! Kills my FireGL softhacked 9700Pro :-) Can run EQ2 on High textures, full view distance, and bloom / lighting on and never get below 40FPS. Can't really complain... of course if I had PCI-e I'd go with a better card... but I typically overclock the 7600GT to about 615MHZ with no problems... and no this has nothing to do with random reboots since I haven't OC it since 178.13 :-)

Anyway, keep the suggestions coming. I appreciate it! Leaning towards a Corsair so far ...
  4. aevm has a good point. I suggested the 400W PSU for your current rig. If you think you may be getting a new system within a year or two, upgrade to the 650TX so you will be able to reuse it in the new system.
  5. I agree with aevm. Corsair psu's are high quality. The 650 watt psu will last you for several future upgrades.
  6. There's a $50 StealthXstream 600W too, if you want. Still overkill for your current system, still reusable if your next PC is not a monster, but not quite as good as the Corsair. It's quiet, and it has an annoying blue light.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components Product