Phenom II x4 965 overclocking help

j4mi3

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Could someone please point me in the right direction on how to overlcock my phenom ii x4 965 processor. my motherbard is an Asus m4a78 pro and i am using a 650w antec psu. My memory is 2x2gb ocz blade at 1066mhz.

I have AMD overdrive so if anyone is good at using this please help me out on there!

I am new to overclocking so please go into detail when helping me out!

Thanks

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Quick question, do you have an aftermarket cooler? If you do continue reading.

For overclocking there's two ways you can do it, since your new I will explain the multiplier overclocking mode.

Multiplier overclocking mode is used to change the multiplier (or the number which is multiplied by the FSB ( in AMD's case the name for FSB is HT) to increase clock speed without the overclocking of any other hardware pieces.

Most HT speeds on AMD motherboards are set to 200.00 mhz~. Your processor if I am not mistaken is a 3.4 ghz black edition processor, meaning the multipliers have been unlocked for easier overclocking. So most likely your multiplier is currently set at 17x multiplier (17x200 mhz= 3.4 ghz)

Now obviously to get more juice out of a electrical device you need to feed it more electricity, you do this by providing higher voltages.

WARNING WARNING WARNING: RAISING VOLTAGES PAST 1.5v is a HUGE NONO FOR BEGINNERS, IF YOU REACH 1.47-1.5v PLEASE CONSIDER STOPPING AT THE LAST STABLE CONFIGURATION

Numbers= Steps, Letters=Options or situations, Number+Letter= options for a step.
The process of multiplier overclocking:
1. Enter your Bios, and look for "advanced" or "performance" tabs. You may need to dig around since it changes from bios to bios, motherboard to motherboard.
2. Once you find it, look now for "CPU Multipliers" in one of the sub menus.
3. Once you find it, now look for "CPU Voltage", you may need to do some research because most bios display many voltages for the CPU, look for the CPU voltage (confirm it online using google).
4. Raise the Mutliplier by 2x more, putting you at 19x200mhz=3.8 ghz...
5. Raise the voltage by .05volts.
6. Boot your system and use Prime95 (google it) and run torture test. Also try obtaining a CPU temperature monitor for Windows (AMD Overdrive will do it for temps). Make sure temperatures do not reach over 60c under full load.

Now there's two things that can happen here:
A. You ran Prime95, and it stayed below 60c under full load for atleast 15 mintues without crashing.
B. You ran Prime95, and it stayed above 60c under full load OR it crashed.
C. Your PC won't boot up, please refer to your Manual for the motherboard to "Reset jumpers".
D. I reset the jumpers but it doesn't boot still, contact your manufacturers for warranty and cross your fingers because you did something wrong (dont tell them that ofc :p).

8. If you got option A, then you can raise the multiplier by 1x more, and redo step 5-6 and if you go back to A after raising the multiplier for the 2nd time, then go ahead and go on redoing the steps until your reach the speed you want.

9. If you got option B while your CPU runs well under 60c under full load, then you can either:
9a. Raise the voltage by .05 until Prime95 runs stable for at least 15 minutes. Remember not to go above 1.5v!!

Follow the steps above, once your happy with the clock or atleast limited by temperatures or voltages or anxiety then please run a MINIMUM OF 3 HOURS OF PRIME95 TORTURE TEST FOR FULL SYSTEM STABILITY. I recommend 8 hours and will not deem any configuration stable unless it can run for 8 hrs.. MAKE SURE TO MONITOR YOUR TEMPERATURES CONSTANTLY DURING THE TEST. If your computer remains ON/ COOL for 8 hours of Prime95, then you got a stable system. If your computer crashes or boots, redo the steps for increasing voltage until you hit 1.5v, in which case it's best if you go down a notch.

j4mi3

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
hey soz only just seen your reply. firstly, i am considering gettin a new case as currently my processor is running at 43 idle and i believe this to be too hot, do you agree? I was considering the coolermaster haf 932, the coolermaster haf 922 or the antec 902. Any thoughts?

Also i am considering an aftermarket cooler to further help with cpu temps as i currently use the stock amd one. I was considering the titan fenrir or the cooler master v8. Advice please?

Ok anyway, do i have to overclock in the bios? As i have been experimenting with AMD overdrive recently and it seems u can do most things in there. It also has an auto tune feature but i dont know whats best really.

Anyway, what do u think? Thanks for your reply.

jbguillo

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I would recommend the HAF 932, as it's what I switched to and it dropped my temps significantly.

As for a cpu cooler, I'm running the Zalman CNPS9700 with Arctic Sliver 5 thermal paste. This paired with the new case, I'm idling ~33c; I was at 45c before I switched everything. Cooler Master v8 seems like a pretty solid option as well.

OC in bios; you have a BE CPU, so it's easy. Just find the page you need to be in to mess around with CPU settings.

I'm running very stable right now @ 3.8ghz; this is with 19x multiplier, 200mhz FSB, and 1.425 voltage.

lynx50187

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
i recommend the haf as well, i own a antec 900 and its a good case but not much for options; ie easy hardware switching. i am getting the cm storm sniper for the fact cable management is going to be a breeze!
as for a cooler the v8 is nice, xiggy darknight is good for a good price, i use the zalman 9900, ocing a 945 right now to 3.75 @under40c while loaded settles around 36-37 ,1.45v (with the antec case)

Daplinksta

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
@AsAn

Ty very much for your well written reply.
Stable @3.8 1.45v 53c after 3 hrs Torure Test (as recommended Prime95)

-Daplinksta
My Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W G.SKILL 2 x's Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop MemoryGIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb
Rosewill Libertas Series LIB-650 650W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified, Full Modular, ATX12V v2.3/EPS12V v2.92,SLI Ready, CrossFire Ready, Active PFC
Scythe SCMG-2100 Sleeve CPU Cooler
nMEDIAPC Black Aluminum Panel PRO-LCD-B Media Center Programmable LCD
Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
2 x's Radeon HD 4770 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

alkimst_13

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
Go with the Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus cooler. Best cooler/dollar ratio. My 965BE at 3.8GHZ only hits 48C under load.

lazy_boy

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
Hi, I've got a Phenom II X4 965 on MA785GM-US2H but I'm having trouble locating the mutliplier on the BIOS. I've looked everywhere & can't find it so is it hidden or do I have to go with the traditional way (i:e CPU Clock Ratio,HT.......etc) Thanks

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Man this thread is twisted all over the place.....Check it simple as this:

There are many cooling options out there that HAF case is great....and any decent aftermarket cooler will do fine.

@AsAnAtheist--->FSB is the FSB on AMD :FSB=200 MHz------ HT = Hyper-Transport default is 2000 MHz...two separate things....OK with that out of the way

@lazyboy-->Multi is located in BIOS...not hidden at all

@Daplinksta--->Just set the multi to like x20 put your voltage to 1.48v and see what ya get...Never use AOD to OC or anyother Software for that matter they can get corrupted to easily....The BE chips are designed for simplicity....Hence the unlocked multi.....The above setting that I gave has proven 24/7 stable on (8) 965 BE chips that I have used....YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY

superelliot

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
Just found this thread yesterday, and with the information that I have found, my system is STABLE!

Idle is about 36 degrees C, and full load is around 56. Not the greatest, but still stable.

Kept the stock core value @200Mhz with a multiplier of 21.
Switched the cool and quiet off, and switched the ram multiplier to 8.0.
CPU voltage is at 1.45 currently. Still stable :)

Thank you all for the information. I wish the best to all who are attempting to overclock. Like others have stated already, some chips are just lucky. :)

Mobo: GIGABYTE 880GA-UD3H
CPU: AM3 965 BE @4.2Ghz
GPU: GIGABYTE Radeon 6850 HD
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB @7200rpm
Heatsink: Thermaltake Frio OCK
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 950W
Case: Antec Armor A90 w/ 5 fans total
Ram: 12GB Patriot Sector 7 @ 1600Mhz

jetblst

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
+5 on Atheists Reply.

Hey thanks so much for the great info. I had read more or less the same info but the guy writing took about a million pages to get to the same exact points you made! Great job.

I too am a newb at OC, and using Overdrive for my AMD black here too.

On my first 10 stability test that came with Overdrive I didnt get above 53 degrees. 20 multiplier and 1.47 volts. I am using a Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo for cooling. Not bad for air cooled. I was clocking at 4.3

I am about at my comfort level. I am actually shooting for about 4.2, stable, at or below 50c. Thanks so much for the input!