Formatting the replaced hard drive

firewire

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004

Hi
I'm replacing the hard drive on my computer. I have to return the replaced
drive and would like to wipe it clean; how do I manage this; can I format the
drive while the system is still running as a last and final act; is this
possible? Is there software available (preferably free ware) that will do a
better job than formatting? Any suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks.

Run something like this http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm or this on
it http://dban.sourceforge.net/ It creates a bootable floppy. Once you've
decided you want the drive completely wiped just boot with this disk and run
it on the drive. Remove the drive and send it away. Caution - make certain
you don't have your new drive attached at the time you run one of these
apps.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"firewire" <firewire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I'm replacing the hard drive on my computer. I have to return the replaced
> drive and would like to wipe it clean; how do I manage this; can I format
> the
> drive while the system is still running as a last and final act; is this
> possible? Is there software available (preferably free ware) that will do
> better job than formatting? Any suggestions will be gratefully
> appreciated.
> Thanks.

No, you can't format the system drive while its in use. Boot from your XP CD and run setup from there. As part of setup, you'll be given the option to format the drive. Once the drive is formatted, simply stop setup.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"firewire" <firewire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:661EF9FF-029A-4A55-BC40-2F0A26F3CEFB@microsoft.com...
> Hi
> I'm replacing the hard drive on my computer. I have to return the replaced
> drive and would like to wipe it clean; how do I manage this; can I format the
> drive while the system is still running as a last and final act; is this
> possible? Is there software available (preferably free ware) that will do a
> better job than formatting? Any suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.
> Thanks.

firewire

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004

Hi Doug
This sounds great; just need a little clarification. I asume that the
qualification is that the new drive is installed or is this with the old
drive and the new drive in place? Please explain the the logistics a little
more. Thanks.
"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> No, you can't format the system drive while its in use. Boot from your XP CD and run setup from there. As part of setup, you'll be given the option to format the drive. Once the drive is formatted, simply stop setup.

> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "firewire" <firewire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:661EF9FF-029A-4A55-BC40-2F0A26F3CEFB@microsoft.com...
> > Hi
> > I'm replacing the hard drive on my computer. I have to return the replaced
> > drive and would like to wipe it clean; how do I manage this; can I format the
> > drive while the system is still running as a last and final act; is this
> > possible? Is there software available (preferably free ware) that will do a
> > better job than formatting? Any suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.
> > Thanks.

check my post in your thread

--

> Hi Doug
> This sounds great; just need a little clarification. I asume that the
> qualification is that the new drive is installed or is this with the old
> drive and the new drive in place? Please explain the the logistics a
> little
> more. Thanks.
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> No, you can't format the system drive while its in use. Boot from your
>> XP CD and run setup from there. As part of setup, you'll be given the
>> option to format the drive. Once the drive is formatted, simply stop
>> setup.
>>

>> --
>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
>> Display\Security
>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>> http://www.dougknox.com
>> --------------------------------
>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>> --------------------------------
>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>
>> "firewire" <firewire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi
>> > I'm replacing the hard drive on my computer. I have to return the
>> > replaced
>> > drive and would like to wipe it clean; how do I manage this; can I
>> > format the
>> > drive while the system is still running as a last and final act; is
>> > this
>> > possible? Is there software available (preferably free ware) that will
>> > do a
>> > better job than formatting? Any suggestions will be gratefully
>> > appreciated.
>> > Thanks.

This would be with the old drive, only installed. After the process is complete, remove the old drive, install the new drive and boot from the CD again, and run setup to do the full installation.