AMD or Intel Motherboard?

rockstone1

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
Christmas is coming soon- and due to the current economic crisis, I can only get a very cheap item- in this case- namely a motherboard!

I currently own a 4000X2+ and a crappy Jetway Motherboard of which it's PCIe Port runs at x8 (and wont change!). I also own a 9600GT that is bottlenecked by the CPU and the Motherboard. I know I'm going to get some money from my family for Christmas as well, but I don't know how much (probably $150). If I have enough, I could replace my Jetway Motherboard with a gigabyte one (mainly: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128090 ), and then save for the AMD Phenom 9950.

I could ask for an Intel motherboard and CPU, but besides the fact that no store is open on Christmas day, if I can't afford a CPU, I have a box of electronics that I can do no good with. But is it worth it to save up for an Intel Motherboard and CPU, or could I make do with another AMD solution? At any rate, which one would give the most bang for my buck? You can see why I want an AMD system over an Intel, so even if I loose a couple of Frames, the cost effectiveness is important. Similarly, I want to be able to play on Christmas Day.

So what should i try to do?

rockstone1

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
Thank you.

5400 Black Edition X2?

Also, do you think it is more critical that I update my 80 GB harddrive instead of replacing my awful JETWAY motherboard?

toledo_speedo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
I would say go with the new mobo, unless you are using 60 or 70 gigs on your current HDD. A good mobo that is favorable to overclocking is way more important then a HDD. I would recommend getting some good thermal paste remover and some Artic Silver thermal paste along with cleaning your heatsink fins and the rest of the components you are reusing. Then you can spend Christmas overclocking your PC.

No, if you still have room for more files. I would clean it up using windows diskclean, disk defragmentor, and a free download, (ie privacy keeper), which runs everytime I log off windows. If you shop for deals, you might have enough for both. Newegg has some pretty good open box boards with no accessories, and biostar will send you a backplate for free if you request it by email. Also check newegg cyber monday specials.

TRENDING THREADS