Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need an opinion about this system

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 10, 2008 1:20:50 PM

After weeks of research and some help from friends, this is my upcoming beast:

2X eVGA 260gtx
Geil DDR2 4096MB 1066MHZ CL5 Black Dragon Dual Channel Kit
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz 12Mb 1333MHz BOX
XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLI Intel Motherboard
7200 RPM Seagate Barracuda 500gb
Thermaltake Roughpower 850W
Thermaltake Armor+ MX Case

My only concern right now is the botherboard.
So far the reviews on it are great but the technician at the store kind of freaked me out.
He told me to check and re-check for compatability since this is my first build-up.

What do you guys think?

More about : opinion system

August 10, 2008 1:49:14 PM

Do u really need SLI? what resolution do u play at?

That config looks good and the motherobard is good too,u may want to look @ ASUS 780i boards too.
Also for RAM, i say go for a DDR2 800 RAM with 4-4-4x or lower timings because the difference between DDR2 800 and 1066 isnt much and DDR2 800 OC's very good too.
August 10, 2008 3:04:05 PM

^+1

Also why not drop SLI and get a X48 and CrossFire 4850s? or 4870s?

@Maziar: Is that a laptop listed in your sig?
Related resources
August 10, 2008 3:16:56 PM

Shadow703793 said:
^+1

Also why not drop SLI and get a X48 and CrossFire 4850s? or 4870s?

@Maziar: Is that a laptop listed in your sig?


Overheat (see ATI's official announcement)
Crappy drivers support (they dont even show on ATI's website last time I checked).
CFX Vs SLI in High-Res is a joke as 2 suppesedly inferior 260gtx surpass faster 2 4870.
Also 260 Idl power consumption is lower.

August 10, 2008 3:44:23 PM

Shadow703793 said:
Also why not drop SLI and get a X48 and CrossFire 4850s? or 4870s?
Or get a P45 and use a 4870x2 .... what he will save on the MB will probably cover the price difference for the Gfx card.
August 10, 2008 4:13:34 PM

9xcalibur9 said:
Overheat (see ATI's official announcement)
I know they run hot, but you can "fix" it by editing a text file (XML file to be exact). Moreover, I think ATI said it wasn't an issue as it was designed to support the heat.
9xcalibur9 said:
Crappy drivers support (they dont even show on ATI's website last time I checked).
I checked today and there are drivers for both HD 4850 and 4870.
9xcalibur9 said:
CFX Vs SLI in High-Res is a joke as 2 suppesedly inferior 260gtx surpass faster 2 4870.
All benchamarks I've seen put the GTX 260 between 10-25% more powerfull than the 4850 (but for 40-50% more $$$) and the gap shrinks the minute you enable AF and AA. I could be wrong, but I would appreciate proof.
9xcalibur9 said:
Also 260 Idl power consumption is lower.
Not according to this.
August 10, 2008 6:52:14 PM

Zenthar said:
I know they run hot, but you can "fix" it by editing a text file (XML file to be exact). Moreover, I think ATI said it wasn't an issue as it was designed to support the heat.
I checked today and there are drivers for both HD 4850 and 4870.
All benchamarks I've seen put the GTX 260 between 10-25% more powerfull than the 4850 (but for 40-50% more $$$) and the gap shrinks the minute you enable AF and AA. I could be wrong, but I would appreciate proof.
Not according to this.


LOL
You guys are overhyped with this card for no good reason.
YOu misread your own link dude. When speaking power consumption wise LOWER is actually better. While 260gtx spans between 158W and 257W, HD4870 spans between 204W and 279W.
According to your link 260GTX is even better in load times. Please re-read.

Also, here's a benchmark tests that proves my point beyond a doubt.
CFX vs SLI = SLI FTW.
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.php?/gpu_displays/xf...
August 10, 2008 7:11:27 PM

9xcalibur9 said:
LOL
You guys are overhyped with this card for no good reason.
YOu misread your own link dude. When speaking power consumption wise LOWER is actually better. While 260gtx spans between 158W and 257W, HD4870 spans between 204W and 279W.
According to your link 260GTX is even better in load times. Please re-read.

Also, here's a benchmark tests that proves my point beyond a doubt.
CFX vs SLI = SLI FTW.
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.php?/gpu_displays/xf...
I was actually comparing the 4850 to the GTX 260 which has a span of 159 to 227, but yes the 4870 does require more power.

As for benches, I would point-out that in Dual-setup, the ATI beats Nvidia in cost per frame for ALL benches except GRID which, for some reason, didn't benefit at all from Crossfire (heard there was a GRID patch for that). At higher resolutions, the 896MB of the GTX260 are probably paying-off more than the GPU or SLI by itself.


August 10, 2008 7:19:39 PM

Zenthar said:
Or get a P45 and use a 4870x2 .... what he will save on the MB will probably cover the price difference for the Gfx card.

No go for P45. It's being limited by x8 bandwidth.
August 10, 2008 7:31:50 PM

Shadow703793 said:
No go for P45. It's being limited by x8 bandwidth.
I meant the single card 4870x2, not 2x4870 ... they should have come-up with a better name :p .
August 10, 2008 8:03:01 PM

To cut through the other guys crap, you are almost all right. If 3-way SLI potential is a must, keep what you got, if not get a EVGA 750i FTW and put the money you save into a PC P&C or Corsair PSU.
!