Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best SSD for around 150$?

Last response: in Storage
January 5, 2010 10:40:07 PM

Hey guys,

I'm very new to the whole SSD scene, and this will be my first purchase of an SSD and I'd like to pick out a good one. Basically, I'm looking for something that has around 30-80GBs (min-max) of storage space without braking the bank. Basically, I know that Intel makes the best SSDs (some kind of random reading speed benchmark lol) and Kingston uses the same flash chip, so Kingston sounds like the best brand. I don't mind adopting the new technology a little early for a serious price inflation but I don't want to go overboard either.

Basically, the SSD will be used to install Windows 7, photoshop, and a game or 2. That's all I need- the primary purpose being Windows 7 (I can live without photoshop of the games).
So, overall, I need an SSD for 150$ or less, that is capable, and has a OK amount of storage for the price. As I said, I'm new to this, so any advice/suggestions will do greatly.

Thanks guys :D 

More about : ssd 150

Best solution

January 6, 2010 3:49:22 AM

Not that I've ever used SSDs before, but Kingston's new 40Gb (the one with intel controller) and the recently announced Intel X25-V 40Gb (tentative, since there aren't any reviews so far) seems like a good choice under $150 if all you're looking for is real-life speed improvement. There are better SSDs out there if you're looking for more capacity or faster sequential write speeds, the kingston and new intel is very slow in this respect. (Not that it matters for most people anyway) However, their random read/write performance should be top of the class under $150, which is what really counts when it comes down to real life performance. I suggest you wait until the review for X25-V comes out, since these will come with TRIM support, unlike Kingston.
January 7, 2010 2:36:59 AM

student_sol said:
Not that I've ever used SSDs before, but Kingston's new 40Gb (the one with intel controller) and the recently announced Intel X25-V 40Gb (tentative, since there aren't any reviews so far) seems like a good choice under $150 if all you're looking for is real-life speed improvement. There are better SSDs out there if you're looking for more capacity or faster sequential write speeds, the kingston and new intel is very slow in this respect. (Not that it matters for most people anyway) However, their random read/write performance should be top of the class under $150, which is what really counts when it comes down to real life performance. I suggest you wait until the review for X25-V comes out, since these will come with TRIM support, unlike Kingston.

Yeah, I was completely unaware that the Intel X25-V 40GB was posted just as I made this thread lol. I think I'm going to get that, mainly because it's an SSD by intel under 150$. Thanks guys (both answers were right, he was just first).
m
l
!