Persistent problem with P5NSLI

febraro

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Hello guys. Congrats on the forum, it's great.

So, I've been experiencing a quite strange problem with my system. I have a P5NSLI mobo that worked just fine alongside a Pentium D 3.0 with 2GB 533mhz of RAM. About a month ago I had an upgrade that made the CPU a Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 and added 2GB of RAM (667mhz). I also traded my GeForce 7300GT for a Radeon HD 4850. So now my system is:

Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4
4GB RAM (a couple of 1GB 533 + one 2GB 677)
Radeon HD 4850
Asus P5NSLI
Vista Ultimate x64

As soon as I had the upgrade my system became unstable, freezing every 5 minutes or so, so I updated the bios to the latest version released by Asus. After that, the freezing was gone, but I started experiencing strange RAM-related problems, like being unable to extract large compressed files and some crashes as soon as I turn on the PC (the screen shows nothing and it will stay like that until I reset the computer; then it loads up fine). I've run memtest and had a bunch of errors. Also, I've had BSODs every once in a while.

Now, I really don't think it's an issue with the RAM itself, since I've run the computer (and memtest) with all the DIMMs separately, and it makes no difference. I read that setting the RAM voltage to 1.9v might do it, but it didn't change anything. Also, I've updated my nForce SLI 570 drivers (not sure if it was supposed to make a difference), but the issues remain. All that makes me think the problem lies on the mobo. I've been trying to figure this out for at least a couple of weeks and I am now out of ideas.

Any help you guys can provide will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

febraro

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I've seen that list, but before I bought the CPU I searched some forums and there was people using Quads on the p5nsli, so I just assumed that the worst case scenario would be having to upgrade the bios. I guess I was wrong.