Computer randomly reboots

timbrown527

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Hello. I'm new here so I'm not sure if this is the proper place for this question. Here goes....

I have built a new system with the following specs:

Intel DX48BT2 Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo Quad Q9300 cpu
OCZ OCZ3p1600GK DDR3 ram
Asus EN8600GTS video card
Three 250GB barracuda hard drives
One LG DVD writer.
Two 120mm fans
One 80mm fan for the CPU duct on the case.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 operating system.

I started with an Antec Smartpower 500w. I had random reboots, so I tried another identical one. That didn't solve it. I now have a 600w OCZ (OCZ OCZ600GXSSLI GameXStream).

I had been having random reboots (at least they seemed random). I now know I can force a reboot if I run Prime95 and it's default test ( I won't check to find out the name of it now because it WILL reboot the machine in a few minutes at most).

My core temps are around 65 centigrade normally. I have an Ultra Aluminous case with one 120mm fan in the front and one in rear. I have a CPU duct fan on the case. all three are Antec. During the tests, cpu core temps go up to 99 or so. I'm NOT an overclocker. I wouldn't know what I was doing if I tried.

What I CAN reproduce:

If I over ride my CMOS settings for ram to set the timing to 7,7,7,24 and/or set the voltage up to 1.9v, then tell it to "exit saving settings", the system simply shuts down IMMEDIATELY upon pressing "y". When I press the power button the system starts up, then shuts down for a few seconds, then restarts. It goes through the PATA detection screen then says that the POST failed and do I want to restart. It's a loop I can not exit until I put the cmos settings for ram back to "automatic", which means the timings are wrong and the voltage is low.

I've been trying everything and am about ready to pull my hair out.

I've run memtest and the ram passed the test. The machine did a reboot after a couple iterations. This runs outside WIndows, so I know it's not Vista.

Oh. Besides being on my third PSU, Intel sent me a replacement motherboard. They both behaved the same. So, It sounds like I can rule the system board and PSU out.

Thanks for whatever direction you can give me.

Why do you want to increase memory voltage so much?

Your CPU temps are way too high or the software reports them incorrectly. What temps are reported by the motherboard's BIOS?

What CPU cooler are you using?

What happens if you temporarily remove the CPU duct? Lower or higher temps?

What's the air flow direction of the CPU duct fan?

timbrown527

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
I got the voltage from the following link:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=110&Itemid=67

I'll have to get the bios temps in a sec. I'll edit this post to add them.

The CPU cooler I'm using (I assume you mean the one mounted on the CPU), is the one that shipped with the retail box CPU. Fan and Heatsink.

The CPU duct fan is blowing OUT. If I reverse it, it'll be blowing right into the CPU fan.

Removing the side of the case so it is completely open doesn't seem to make much difference.

If I'm wrong about the RAM voltage (reading the article wrong) let me know. I'm just leaving the settings on automatic so it boots and works.

Oh, I'm using CPUFan for temp reading in Vista, as well as Everest Ultimate.
I'm looking at Everest right now:
CPU core 1 66
CPU core 2 66
CPU core 3 62
CPU core 4 63

Voltages:
CPU Core 1.10
+2.5v 1.18v
3.3v 3.25v

Memtest says
core 0: 61
core 1: 60
COre 2: 56

Doesn't list core 3. Just the three I listed.

I'll go get the CMOS temp settings and be back to append this.

Thanks.

Ok, I've checked CMOS. All I can find there relative to temp readings is the following:

Processor Therm Margin: 25c
Internal Temp 41c
Remote Temp 38c

While I was there, I wrote down the voltages:

v12 12.187
v5 4.999
v3.3 3.248
v1.5 1.184
Vccp 1.125

Am I mistaken or does V1.5 look low?

Not sure what I'm looking at, specifically.

Thanks.

timbrown527

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Excuse me. In the previous, I should have said "Speedfan", not "memtest" is reporting the temps.

See? I've been messing with this so long even I'm unstable!!!

Tim

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I'll bet you are hitting the Thermtrip# and the CPU is shutting down to save its life.

Check the HS mounting before you boot again. You may need to remove the mobo to ensure that the pins are protruding through the mobo properly.

Get a good aftermarket HS with a back plate.

Image courtesy of Grimmy.

MB-back.jpg

timbrown527

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Well, it was doing this before I removed it and reinstalled it but I can do it again and check it out. WHen I installed it this last time, I double checked that it was seated well. I remember pushing it down again to make sure it was in all the way.

...and I replaced the thermal paste with what came with the new system board making sure I got all of it out the syringe.

timbrown527

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
*I'll bet you are hitting the Thermtrip# and the CPU is shutting down to save its life.*

Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but it's not just shutting down, it's rebooting. The only time it shuts down (turns off completely) is when I've tried to change some ram timing values to what OCZ says they should be, then when I say "Save Bios settings and restart", it simply turns off immediately when I press "Y". Other than that, it reboots.

If that is irrelevant, fine. But I wanted to clarify that.

Thanks,

TIm

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007

To much paste will make temps to high.

It takes a dot the size of a BB or a grain of rice. Using the whole syringe would be very bad.

You wrote "...and I replaced the thermal paste with what came with the new system board making sure I got all of it out the syringe. " You want to apply a thin layer on the CPU, not the whole syringe contents. If it's the "Dow Corning TC-1996 compound Intel P/N D54816-001", the syringe contains enough compound to install several CPUs.

timbrown527

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Ok, I have opened the box, loosened the "screws" on the cpu fan assembly and pushed on all four posts. I pushed as hard as I could without fearing damage to the board. One post budged a bit but that's it. I'm running the temp program again and it's telling me the same thing.

As far as tearing the system down and removing the system board to check it, I'll have to wait till tomorrow to do that. No big deal, just remove the system tray.

timbrown527

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
*It takes a dot the size of a BB or a grain of rice. Using the whole syringe would be very bad. *

That makes more sense to me than thinking it's not seated all the way. I think the local radio shack has this, I'll re-do it.

Thanks.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
That is relevant. I don't believe that the machine will reboot if the thermtrip# is reached. After you work out the temp issue, assuming it's a temp issue and not a DTS issue, and I think it is, we will need to tackle the crashing issue.

The stock push pin heatsink is notoriously hard to install and the pins sometimes work themselves back out. If you remove it to reapply the paste, be sure to clean both mating surfaces thoroughly with rubbing alcohol and a coffee filter.
There are many good ones. A lot people also like some of the aftermarket HSs with the push pins, I am not one of them. Those HSs also suffer from the poor push pin design of the stock cooler, and many have complained about this and converted their aftermarket push pin HS to a backplate one.

I have a Thermalright Ultra120 Extreme with a Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm Fan. It is a little older and more expensive, but it's still one of the best. I leave the fan at max (1600 rpm) and it's not too loud, although I'm not really the best judge of noise.

Here is a relatively recent comparison list of HSs, I'm sure there are more recent ones. Noctua NH-U12P CPU Heatsink Review

The list is pretty complete. Rather than recommend one, I'll let you decide. Your case should be deep enough for any of the HSs, though with the tray you may want to double check clearance. Stick to a heatsink with a backplate. Heatsinks with a proprietary fan may present a problem if the fan dies.

Although too much grease is bad for temps, and messy, I don't believe it is responsible for the ultra high temps you have. This assumes that your DTSs aren't completely whacked. Most of the excess paste should get squeezed out as the HS is applied, depending on its consistency, and hopefully you wouldn't have gotten any voids.

I like IC Diamond 7 Carat Thermal Compound, although no one else at THF seems to be very excited about it. I apply a very thin layer with a single sided razor blade because it is a little sticky. It can be heated to thin it out a little and applied in the standard fashion. It can also be purchased from the Heatsink Factory. If you decide to use it, or are bored, this is a good thread to read, especially posts by JoeC as it appears he works for Innovation Cooling.

timbrown527

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Thanks.

I may have been a bit premature, but I called TigerDirect and ordered a Thermaltake. Here's the link.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=2844210&sku=T925-2034&srkey=t9252034

IT should be here tomorrow. I ordered thermal paste with it.

I'm replacing the heatsink/fan that came with the chip mainly because while I removed it, one of the posts actually broke off. Thanks for the input on how to clean the thermal paste off, I didn't know how to do that properly.

In any event, that system is down until tomorrow. I'll use a coffee filter and alcohol to clean the top of the processor off. then put a small amount of paste on it.

When I removed the fan, the paste had NOT all been spread out in a thin film. It had been on one side, but not on the side that had the broken fan post. So, it would appear that at least some of the heat problem was due to a contact issue.

NOTE: When I first assembled this machine it had been randomly rebooting once every week or two. When I remomved the heatsink, the paste WAS evenly distributed, so I assume that contact was good on the first install. And of course, the past on the fan had been put there by Intel so the amount should have been right.

I'm guessing I cracked the push pin when I installed the cpu fan; I've been told I don't know my own strength.

Finally, what do you mean by a "DTS problem"? Never heard of this before.

Thanks to you, and all of you, for your help on this. I have built many systems over the years but this one has been the one that "refused to be built". The last one i built was about three or four years ago, a plain old 2.5Ghz P4. Things change.

Again, I appreciate your help very much.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
It is too bad that you jumped the gun and ordered that HS, especially because it has the same mounting pins that the stock one has, and is therefore subject to the same problems. Additionally there are other HS available for within $10-$15 that I suspect would crush it in cooling performance. The reason that I say suspect is that I can't even find it included in any reviews, that should be an indication. What's done is done.

The DTS (Digital Thermal Sensors) are the on chip thermal sensors that are used in the newer Intel and AMD CPUs. Many of the Intel 45nm CPUs do a poor job of reporting idle temps. Intel says this is because they were designed only for protection so only the high temps are of concern to them. A little bit of a cop-out here? Also Intel doesn't release the Tjmax numbers for the various CPUs so it's somewhat of a crap shoot to determine them. They are needed because the core temp is calculated by subtracting from the Tjmax. Also there can be some problem with them sticking, but I haven't heard a problem as severe as yours.

As I indicated earlier, I suspected that the HS wasn't getting the proper contact. It's not the first time that I have had someone insist that the HS was properly mounted only to find out that it wasn't. I strongly suggest that you remove the tray and ensure that the pins are firmly seated and even give a "little" tug on the HS to ensure that it won't work loose later.

Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide
Real Temp - Documentation
Real Temp - New temp program for Intel Core processors - XtremeSystems Forums

timbrown527

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah, I know, I jumped a bit quick. I ordered it last night and called them this morning about it. I was going to get a (better) one but they said it was already on the truck. I would think I can trust that because they could have sold a more expensive one if the current one wasn't already on its way.

I noticed some of the reviews about it were negative (pins) but I did see some good ones and figured I'd not worry about it. I can always change later, or do an RMA if this one isn't sufficient. I would think it's somewhat better than the one from Intel.

I'll check the ones out you mentioned. I can always Ebay the one I'm getting, so it's no great loss, and at least it'll let me run till I get a better one.

timbrown527

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
*As I indicated earlier, I suspected that the HS wasn't getting the proper contact. It's not the first time that I have had someone insist that the HS was properly mounted only to find out that it wasn't. I strongly suggest that you remove the tray and ensure that the pins are firmly seated and even give a "little" tug on the HS to ensure that it won't work loose later. *

I'm sure you are right because of the way the past looked when I took the fan off. it was not "smooshed" on one side of the CPU (the side where the pin was cracked).

When I installed it, I did so with it on the tray, out of the case but I didn't remove the system board to look at the back. I DID try to look at it through the crack between the tray and the board, but didn't see and in my rush didn't dismount the board.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I thought there was a hole over the CPU socket. Since that's not the case, then you really should remove the mobo from the tray, many are successful without doing that. You will need to support the mobo so that the pins have clearance, and so that the mobo doesn't crack if you need excessive force. A small roll of masking/electrical tape etc. around the hole will do the trick. Be sure it is soft enough and not resting on anything that might be damaged e.g., protruding legs of capacitors etc.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
wow!!!! what a battle i hope that the OP and others have learned a lesson,,always mount those foolish and stupid push pin junky things outside of your case,and check before installation that it is firmly in place..
y'know if i were working at inhell and someone had came to me with that push pin idea,,well pilgrim,, there aint enough paint ball ammo on the entire planet,talk about stupidity,,, whew!! .:>)

timbrown527

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
zorg:

WIll do. And I'll let you know how it goes when the job is done sometime tomorrow afternoon.

You've been a great help. Thanks.