Sign in with
Your question

Newbie needs help oc i5

Last response: in Overclocking
October 8, 2009 3:35:20 PM

Assembly of our new system is complete. Core components are an Intel i5 processor, Noctua NH-U12P-SE2 CPU cooler, Gigabyte P55-UD4P motherboard, 8GB kit of Corsair Dominator memory CMD8GX3M4A1600C8, two EVGA 250 GTS graphics cards (not configured for SLI), and a Corsair TX850W power supply. I am seeking to overclock this configuration to 4Ghz but am a relative newbie (this is my second overclocked system), so I am asking for assistance with the processor / memory frequency and voltage settings. A base clock of 200 Mhz with a cpu multiplier of 20 would reach the 4Ghz level but I am unsure about the voltage. How much do I increment the CPU Vcore above the stock setting as I begin to test? Do I also need to increment the QPI/Vtt voltage? Is yes, how much? Concerning the memory, it seems using the 10X multiplier would be correct for the 4Ghz overclock but I have seen some recommendations to use the 8x multiplier and run the memory at 1600 Mhz. Which is best? The comments I have read on memory voltage seem to agree on a maximum of 1.65 volts per Intel. Is it all right to set the DRAM voltage at 1.65 at the outset or best to increment it and see if the DRAM can meet the system's demands at a voltage less than 1.65? Thanks for reading this and for any helpful comments.

More about : newbie

October 9, 2009 7:51:11 PM

Using the parameters described in the ncix youtube video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Llqhe3N1cJA&feature=chan...
my system is oc'd to 3.7GHz and presently running Prime95. RealTemp is reporting the core temps at approximately 70 degrees which seems high with the Noctua NH-U12P-SE2 and seven other fans in the *ntec 900 case. Would turning off load line calibration and manually setting Vcore help reduce the core temps? Thanks. Tom
October 9, 2009 9:25:01 PM

I stopped Prime95 after 75 minutes (no errors), checked the bios to see how the Vcore and Dram voltages had been set (1.38125 & 1.584 respectively), turned off load line calibration, set the Vcore to closest available to 1.38125, the Dram to closest available to 1.584, and rebooted. Now running Prime 95 and RealTemp is reporting the core temps about ten degrees lower than with load line calibration enabled. Seems this is a better configuration to get the same overclock at lower core temperatures.
Related resources
October 10, 2009 6:57:31 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In trying to move above the 3.7GHz yielded by the NCIX configuration, I either encounter boot failures or Prime95 fails immediately when started. Presently at 200 bclk, 20X CPU multiplier, 1.4 Vcore, 1.3 VTT, 8X memory multiplier, 1.64 Dram voltage. CPU-Z reports the memory frequencies at 10,11,11, & 29. Sure would appreciate some help.
October 10, 2009 7:32:32 AM

Enabled load line calibration and Prime95 is running but Real Temp is reporting all core temps in the high 70's to low 80's. Is it safe to let Prime95 continue at these temps? CPU cooler is a Noctua NH-U12P-SE2.
January 3, 2010 12:32:41 PM

Tomga, if you havn't fixed your problem by now try increasing the Vcore, but you will need to watch your temps if its allready hitting 80 degrees. I have mine running at 4.4Ghz and only just hitting 80's at 100% load, so you may need to just experiment with the voltages. Disable all the extra *** such as thermal throttling, turbo boost etc that may reduce your temps slightly and should increase stability. Intels thermal specification is 72.7 degrees so going beyond that is not recomended. However, i have seen systems running fine in the high 70's, although i im unsure if it will adversely affect the CPU over the long term.
a b K Overclocking
January 3, 2010 12:48:38 PM

tomga said:
Assembly of our new system is complete. Core components are an Intel i5 processor, Noctua NH-U12P-SE2 CPU cooler, Gigabyte P55-UD4P motherboard, 8GB kit of Corsair Dominator memory CMD8GX3M4A1600C8, two EVGA 250 GTS graphics cards (not configured for SLI), and a Corsair TX850W power supply. I am seeking to overclock this configuration to 4Ghz but am a relative newbie (this is my second overclocked system), so I am asking for assistance with the processor / memory frequency and voltage settings. A base clock of 200 Mhz with a cpu multiplier of 20 would reach the 4Ghz level but I am unsure about the voltage. How much do I increment the CPU Vcore above the stock setting as I begin to test? Do I also need to increment the QPI/Vtt voltage? Is yes, how much? Concerning the memory, it seems using the 10X multiplier would be correct for the 4Ghz overclock but I have seen some recommendations to use the 8x multiplier and run the memory at 1600 Mhz. Which is best? The comments I have read on memory voltage seem to agree on a maximum of 1.65 volts per Intel. Is it all right to set the DRAM voltage at 1.65 at the outset or best to increment it and see if the DRAM can meet the system's demands at a voltage less than 1.65? Thanks for reading this and for any helpful comments.

Here is a quick guide for OCing LGA1156 CPUs: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/256144-29-lga1156-cor...
!