Opinions and suggestions on a "High-End" machine.

Tywald

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Hello everyone!

Whitin a few weeks i'll be ordering a new high-end computer and after days of researching i've come down to this setup. I might add that i'm going to keep this system for a couple of years whit no upgrades and therefore is going for a Quad Core CPU and a High-End GPU just too "futureproof" this machine a bit.

Antec Twelve Hundred Gaming Case(Without PSU)

Corsair Powersupply 750W Black,ATX/EPS, 140mm Fan, 8xSATA, SLI

Asus P5Q, P45, Socket-775, DDR2, ATX, GbLAN, Firewire, PCI-Ex(2.0)16

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775, 8MB, Retail

Corsair TWIN2X 6400C4DHX DDR2, 4096MB Kit w/two CL4 2GB Dimm's, E.P.P and DHX (*2 for a total of 8 GBytes)

Noctua NH-U12P, 120mm Fan, 1300RPM, 19,8 dB(A)

"Arctic Silver Ceramique" Thermal Grease

Western Digital Caviar GP 750GB SATA2 16MB IntelliPower (Music, Images, Movies and....well you know...stuff)

Samsung SpinPoint T166 250GB, 16MB, 7200RPM, SATA 3.0 Gbps (OS, games and programs.)

Sony NEC Optiarc DVD±RW burner AD-7200S, 20x, SATA, Black, bulk

Microsoft Windows Vista Prem SP1,OEM,DVD (64-Bit Edition)

AMD Radeon 4870x2 (Once they appear on the market).

I'm not thinking about using two 4870x2 hence why i'm sticking whit a P45 as well as a 750Watt power supply. While i'll be using the LG W3000H (2560x1600) LCD screen the only game that would need that kind of raw power at that resolution is "Crysis" wich i'm not playing that often.

Also i'm open for suggestions on the CPU cooler and thermal grease, i'll be trying pushing the CPU over 3+ GHz but not very likely into to the 3.6+ GHz range. Would the Noctua be an overkill really and there's a better choice for less money? I'll provide you whit a link to the page of the CPU cooler section from the store i'll be ordering from.

http://www.komplett.se/k/kl.aspx?bn=10547

I would like to hear some opinions and suggestions about this setup, if there's something that could be a better choice or if i should add something.

- Tywald

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Upgrade mobo to P5Q PRO.

Swap ASC out for MX-2 if available.

The 4870X2 should be out tomorrow, but stock is anyone's guess.

The cpu cooler is one of the top. 3.6Ghz is doable.

Do your parents know you download so many GB of "...well you know...stuff"? :)

I agree with auscanzukus on all points.

Replace the two hard disks with WD6400AAKS disks. Make a 100GB partition for Vista on one of them. You'll get better speed and more room for the same money.
http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=352541

That Noctua cooler is by far the best on that list AFAIK. It is in fact the best air cooler I know, tied with the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme.

I don't buy Sony products any more. Here's a good burner (Samsung SH-S223F):
http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=354996

Tywald

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Allright, both your suggestions are good, i'll make those replacement. Unfortunetly the MX-2 thermal grease isn't sold in that store so i'll stick whit the ASC.

aevm:
Haha, I thought everyone knewed "stuff" is included in the "Movies" and "Pictures" category allready? ;)
Anyways, thanks for the suggestion on replacing those harddrives and Optical Drive.

TRENDING THREADS