2 Cable runs to DVR unit

Last response: in Home Theatre
August 7, 2004 5:50:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

I have just installed a dish unit that will record 2 shows at the same time
but I only had one cable run to the room that it is in.

Is there a way to do this with out having to home run a 2nd cable. it is a
new house and I don't want to tear it apart to do this

Thanks

More about : cable runs dvr unit

August 7, 2004 7:40:41 PM

<Octel@dude.dude> wrote in message news:v65Rc.221055$%_6.128592@attbi_s01...
> I have just installed a dish unit that will record 2 shows at the same
time
> but I only had one cable run to the room that it is in.
>
> Is there a way to do this with out having to home run a 2nd cable. it is
> new house and I don't want to tear it apart to do this
>
> Thanks

The possibility will vary. What satellite service and equipment, dish and
receiver, are you using?

Pat
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 10:06:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

i am useing Direct TV with a hughes dvr 40 unit the dish has 2 cables
coming from it but it looks like only 1 lmb ? not sure it then goes to a
dtv3x4 spliter and that feeds the cables in the house

Thanks
Ken
August 7, 2004 10:52:15 PM

<Octel@dude.dude> wrote in message news:qS8Rc.89750$8_6.5914@attbi_s04...
> i am useing Direct TV with a hughes dvr 40 unit the dish has 2 cables
> coming from it but it looks like only 1 lmb ? not sure it then goes to
> dtv3x4 spliter and that feeds the cables in the house
>
> Thanks
> Ken

That 3x4 is a multiswitch and your dish has a dual LNB. If the multiswitch
has a free output, it's possible to use the present output plus a free
output to supply a stacker. Otherwise, you'll need to replace the
multiswitch with a 3x8. The stacker can change the frequency of one output
to run two signals over your one line. Once at your receiver, a dstacker can
separate the two signals on one line into two lines. All this can be more
expensive than running a new line.

If you want to upgrade to HD or if DirecTV makes any changes that require
you to access more than one satellite in the future, you'll need 4 lines
from a 3LNB oval dish going to a 5x8 multiswitch and 2 lines from the
multiswitch to a dual tuner receiver. A stacker won't work. Think about that
before you choose a stacker now. DirecTV will upgrade your system if that is
required but they'll run new wiring in a way you probably not like.

Pat