Sign in with
Your question

USB or ExpressCard wireless adapter?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 29, 2009 10:51:44 PM

Which is better. My laptop uses an integrated g card and I thought if i upgraded to an N adapter it would be better. Oh and what is up with Belkin's N+ or N1 names? And what is dual band, i see lynksis has dual band options. I'm most concerned about RANGE increase. thanks!

*did a little thinking. I'm assuming belkin's "N1" label just means it is dual band? This is what I'm looking at for max range and a good price

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/WEC600N
August 29, 2009 11:15:05 PM

get a dlink express card ....extreme n express card.....superfast ....great range!
August 29, 2009 11:16:01 PM

or a dwa 160 dlink usb extreme n adapter.....
Related resources
August 29, 2009 11:37:28 PM

ok ill look into that. I now see CNET is saying N+ is actually better range but is not dual band. I don't understand this stuff. All I want is range. I will be on campus and I don't have to pay for my own internet but i need to be able to get the signal. Sometimes indoors the walls get in the way. Plus I want to be able to be more moble with my laptop and be able to get wireless connection in as many locations as possible. If I really want the bandwidth I'll find a good spot or hardwire my internet, im not worried about computer gaming in the middle of nowhere.
August 29, 2009 11:51:40 PM

extreme n express card is only 40 bucks if i get a refurb one haha.

so uh... is this card as fast as the N+ from Belkin?
August 30, 2009 1:07:56 AM

And Dlink calls their one card "extreme" lol... Is that the same as N+? Could I use an extreme adapter with an N+ router or is extreme just a word they used to name their adapter geez this is confusing. I don't know what letters and symbols signify compatibility and which are made up by the brand
August 30, 2009 5:24:47 AM

As an FYI, it looks like the 802.11n final spec, will finally be coming next month... http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/21/802-11n-should-go-fi...

Just something to consider as new or updated products may be released (though I don't know if there will be any significant difference from the current n draft to the finalized version).

As far as range is concerned, there is always the standard "varies on multiple factors" statement. And I believe the n standard is more focused on throughput than range.

My advice, see what the individual brands are claiming and try to research (i.e. Newegg reviews) if they're accurate.
August 30, 2009 2:20:38 PM

d link is more stable than belkin...and extreme n is fast and stable.dual band means it operates on the 2.4 and 5 ghz bands.refurbs work just like new mine are also refurbs!
August 31, 2009 12:38:25 AM

haha Yeah i do go on newegg and look at the reviews. Belkin's website has a nice fancy slideshow trying to convince us that N has much longer range than G. Also I'm not sure if my adapter has MIMO which i guess is critical for extending range and not dropping signal (avoiding dead zones)
August 31, 2009 2:10:15 AM

extreme dlink routers and cards are fast and stable,and have decent range!!!belkin is junk!
August 31, 2009 7:15:18 PM

i me it is also better than the integrated intel thing i have which is G...

I'm not sure if it's mimo and i dont kno how to find out

!